Has anyone put a microwave on a pullout shelf in an upper cab?

joy20March 5, 2009

I want to put a compact microwave inside an upper cabinet with a flip up door, but can't go deeper than about a 13" (interior depth) cabinet. The cabinets are face frame inset.

I was thinking I might be able to set a spacesaver microwave on a pullout shelf so that I could pull it out a couple of inches for rear air circulation when in use - then push it back in & close the door when not in use.

The cabinet would be wide & tall enough to accomodate side/top air circulation, flip up door & pullout shelf. The electrical plug would be mounted on side wall of cabinet to save space in back.

Has anyone done this? Any comments or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melanie1422

This is something I have been wondering about myself. I'd love to put the microwave in the pantry - so I don't have to waste my small counter space and I don't have to look at it. Would it be okay on a pullout?

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 11:20PM
kateskouros

i'm putting a small microwave in an upper cabinet but it will be deep enough so i won't need a pull out, but i don't see any reason you couldn't do this. check with your appliance retailer to be on the safe side. good luck!

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 11:28PM
jtsgranite4us

We have our microwave in our cabinet. We have a pullout shelf below the microwave. The shelf the microwave sits on is actually removable. The microwave was originally on the pullout shelf but we decided to add the removeable shelf so we could use the pullout shelf as a landing area. We have a similar opening for our toaster oven on the other side of the refridgerator

The shelf that the microwave sits on is 44" from the floor.

Here is a picture:

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 12:07AM
sprengle1

Jtsgranite4us, What an excellent idea! There is a thread here asking about counterspace next to fridge. This is a great compromise!

Joy20, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to do what you are thinking of.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 11:05AM
joy20

Thanks for the input everyone & the picture (jtsgranite)- clever idea! I am going to propose my idea to the cabinet maker. Hopefully I will have pictures to share by mid June.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 2:06PM
jtsgranite4us

Our refridgerator is cabinet depth so opening the doors can hit the pullout shelf if you are not careful.
Since ours is a side by side we can use the pullout shelf on the opposite side of the refridgerator door we are opening to avoid the possibility of the door hitting the pullout shelf.

The pullout shelf works well as a landing area for the microwave.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 4:53PM
bdaykitchen

I hate to be a kill joy, but I think you are going to have a hard time finding a microwave that' less than 13" deep. i had quite a time finding one under 15" to go as an extra microwave in my island. I finally settled on Sharp R1216 (I think). It's ok but whimpy - only 800watts. Let us know if you have success. I don't have super high hopes for the longevity of this one!

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 3:10AM
joy20

bdaykitchen - The GE spacesaver models claim overall depth of 12 9/32 & there are a few other small units from GE, WP & Sharp that claim less than 13 exterior depth. I just need to make sure that those dimensions include the tab or anything else that might be sticking out on the back of the unit. Sometimes the dimensions are not clear about that.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
Sponsored Products
Cassara 60" Round Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Chintaly Deborah Round Glass Top Dining Table - CTY451
$755.26 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Ivory 3 ft. x 5 ft. Indoor
Home Depot
KOHLER Bathtubs Mariposa VibrAcoustic 5 ft. Left Drain Soaking Tub in Dune
Home Depot
Artek | A805 Floor Lamp
YLighting