Stair Stringer Spacing

centraljerseyguySeptember 12, 2007

I am about to build the stairs to my deck. I have determined that the stringers will have a rise of 7 1/4" and a tread of 11" and I need to have 7 steps. My steps will be 90" wide. I am using Timbertech boards. How many stringers do I need? Those of you who used composites, how far did you space the stringers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisexv6

TimberTech says no more than 12" OC for stair stringers (here: http://timbertech.com/pdf/installation.pdf)

The configuration of my little platform forced me to have "odd" stringer spacing (the platform is cantilevered and the beam was in the way if I did 12" OC, so I actually ended up with a couple 11" OC, 12" OC, etc). Ive installed the decking on the steps, and I have to say they feel pretty darn solid! I know I read a lot of stuff about people saying a composite deck doesnt feel "solid" but so far Im just not seeing it (it might have something to do with the quality of the product........I lifted a 20' piece of TT Floorizon and it had very little bow in it, but a 16' piece of Trex ends up looking like a bell curve if you lift it in the middle).

Good luck.

-Chris

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™