So what went wrong with this ipe deck?

ya_thinkAugust 30, 2009

Last week I visited a friend who about three years ago had PT decking around his inground pool ripped up and replaced with ipe. I don't know the thickness, but it was screwed down with what appear to be stainless trim head screws. He didn't mention anything but all I can say is I'd be PISSED if this was my deck. The boards are all cupped either up or down and they all feel loose when walking on them, whether on top of the joists or between them. Squeak squeak squeak accompanies the looseness. I think there are multiple factors at work. I'm listing them below and perhaps some experienced people could comment on each and potentially save someone else some agony. By the way, this job was done by an established contractor in an area where a $1MM house, if you're lucky enough to find one, would be considered entry level.

- Deck is basically at grade, just high enough to get some framework up. Ventilation an eventual issue if not the cause of the problems?

- Unknown age of the PT support structure, maybe 15 years? Could it be that it's not "fresh" enough to hold the screws well?

- 16" joists, decking run 45 deg. Whether or not this is an issue I don't know, because the boards are obviously floating higher than, an bouncing down onto, the joists themselves.

- Being around a pool this gets a lot of water. He got sick of "oiling" several times a year (not sure what product) so he's letting it silver which blends well with his grey house. Mistake in such a wet environment?

And a question - Can the loose boards be tightened down at this point or would the risk of snapping the screws be too great?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

You have pretty much anwsenerd your own questions. With all of the above being true there is no need for further torking down the fasteners. J.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ya_think

I was afraid you'd say that. What a waste.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Any experience with aluminum decking?
We're considering one of the watertight aluminum decking...
dmnmnky
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Fashion Shag Beige 5' 3" x 7' 3" Transitional
Home Depot
Isabet 'A' Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
15833AZT Kichler LED Broad Roof Landscape Path and Spread Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Angel ANG01 Ivory Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Shag Rug
$66.24 | Bellacor
New Red-Navy Blue Border Heriz 3x4 HandKnotted Wool Serapi Floral Area Rug H5577
BH Sun Inc
Victorian Traditional Tub Shower Mixer Faucet Filler & Handheld Kit
Hudson Reed
Personalized Rectangular Cutting Board with Name or Phrase
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
Driftwood Pine Tree
$249.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™