Cracking in new concrete deck

xjrules14June 1, 2011

On our remodel project, we had a contractor completely remove the old and pour a new concrete deck, followed by Preferred Deck coating. The deck was poured on April 5. A few weeks ago I noticed a small crack going from the skimmer to the edge of the pool, and from the skimmer to the next expansion line (see image below). In your opinion, is this a concern or acceptable for a brand new deck? The crack was there before the application of the coating. I'm a little worried because applying the coating did cover it up initially, but it is now visible again.

Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

xjrule14,
Any interuption in a deck such as a skimmer opening opening are prime targets for cracking. I'm surprised that an expansion joint was not placed from the pool to the skimmer and skimmer to nearest expansion.
It's a common error that deck contractors should be aware of.
Coatings applied to the concrete will not fill any existing cracks. Any other cracks that existed before will show up again.
Proper repair would consist of replacing that section of deck that is cracked and providing the proper expansion joints. Fortunately, most coatings match very well. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™