Had my water tested

housefulJune 1, 2011

I had my water tested at Leslie's. I told him the pool looked great, but I couldn't keep chlorine levels up. He said that I have fallen for the old-wives tale about CYA levels. My pH was a high, which I knew, and he said that could have to do with the low chlorine. My phospates were over 1,000 and he said that was my number one problem. He said I should not waste my time testing for CYA until I get my phospates under control. He also advised putting two caps of a phospate remedy into the pool each week just to keep it in check.

I can't remember where, but I read recently that phospates do not matter. Who to believe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houseful

I forgot to mention that he asked why I was using liquid rather than granules. That's when I told him that it increases CYA.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyom

Leslies stores near me try the same Phosphate shuck and jive every time I am in there. They have uninformed pool owners lined up who spend money on stuff they may not really need.

I suggest you go here and read up, it really helped me learn about what is in my water. These guys really know what they are talking about...

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

Check specifically the ABC's of pool water chemistry.
The rest of the site has great info as well.

Good luck.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™