I need ideas

gmom2-6boysJanuary 2, 2011

I am making my DIL a quilt and I want to use some of her old mulitary uniforms. I have 8" squares cut, but want to do more. Something that says, she'll protect us and also that she is female.

any ideas?

gmom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nan_nc

Do you embroider? Or applique? Perhaps the 8" squares interspersed with figures of the statue of liberty, or mothers with children, any biblical figures which would be appropriate, children with pets, historical figures (mom on the doorstep with a shotgun) etc. Use your imagination and you will be amazed at what you come up with. Just be sure that your base material is approximately the same weight as the 8" squares. Good luck with your project. It's a great idea!

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

I think making a quilt for her, using her old uniforms, is a wonderful and loving idea. Any design and fabric will probably be ok and mean a lot to her. How about using a star theme, with some of the centers in mil fab, with solid points and others with solid centers and the mil fab as points? Stars are often used in the Quilts of Valor quilts and are a traditional quilt pattern. You can soften it up by using a floral inner border and backing in matching colors.

Kate

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
What I LOVE about Houzz!
Now, I'll bet THAT comes as a surprise, right? From...
beth7happy
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™