What was for dinner?

patti43April 13, 2013

Better late than never, I suppose. We just got back from Homosassa where we had dinner. There's a little dive type place that has the best--and I do mean best--fresh from the Gulf shrimp you've ever tasted. You buy it by the (very generous) pound. We each had a pound. Not many sides to choose from, but really, that shrimp is all a person wants. That and an ice cold beer (which is like a dollar each--Sam Adams is $2).

The place was packed so we had to eat inside. I much prefer the tiki bar out on the water. We all came home happy and very full! It was a fun afternoon.

What did you/are you having for dinner?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

I had a fried hotdog and chips.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 6:39PM
gadgets

I like shrimp but not sure I could eat a whole pound at once. Give me a side salad and that would be enough for me.

I had some meatballs in the freezer. I added them to some doctored pork n beans. Had a potato to go with it. This used to be one of my families favorite meals.

Shirley

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 6:43PM
glenda_al

Ohhh what a way to eat shrimp! I'm drooling!

Johnny's Ray's BBQ: chopped pork mixed with no sauce,
baked beans, potato salad, side of pickles and texas toast.

Picked up friend and went to Yogurt Twist and I had salted caramel frozen yogurt in a cup. So good!

patti, will you please share your French potato salad recipe?

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 6:48PM
YogaLady1948

Thai take out;)

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 6:50PM
hounds_x_two

Salad
Baby greens, cucumber, cherry tomato, green onion, garbanzo beans, fat free feta, bacon bits and vinegar & oil dressing.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 7:06PM
patti43

Kayjones, fried hot dogs--another one of those good things I'd forgotten about. I used to split them in half lengthwise and put cheese on them. So good!

Shirley, come down and we'll go have shrimp--betcah' you'll eat the whole pound. I ate all but 4. Ususally when we go out, if I order shrimp I may eat 5, but these are so fresh and so good you just can't stop eating them. I think they steam them, but I don't know for sure. They have the shells on and seasonings which are red and spicy, but not too spicy (sure make your hands messy, which is why they have rolls of paper towels on the tables instead of napkins). How is your sister feeling?

Glenda, we both love chopped BBQ pork. I don't like sauce either. That sounds terrific. I've never had salted caramel, either. But it seems to be really popular now. Here's the French potato salad. The kids have had it for lunch every day :-) Instead of cooking the bacon I used a packet of those real bacon bits (mine were Primrose brand).

French Potato Salad

2 lb. small red new potatoes
5 strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill or 2 tsp. dried
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 c. finely chopped red onion (I omitted)
Salt to taste

Dressing:
1/3 c. red wine vinegar (I prefer rice vinegar--not as strong)
3/4 c olive oil
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
Freshly ground black pepper

Boil potatoes until just tender. Drain and cut into small chunks. Place in salad bowl with remaining salad ingredients. Combine dressing ingredients, mix well and toss with warm potatoes. Salad should marinate in dressing for several hours in refrigerate.

YogaLady, you're sooooo smart!!

Hounds, your healthy dinner puts me to shame. It sounds really refreshing, too.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 7:45PM
glenda_al

Thank you! I might make that for Mother's Day!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
kittiemom

Mexican stuffed peppers and a fruit salad.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:34PM
phyllis__mn

Had a ham bone, so put that and navy beans in the crockpot this morning. It was very good and now I'm having a glass of riesling before I go to bed. We have a horrendous snow storm coming our way, so the bean soup will be good to have.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:53PM
patti43

Kittiemom, is the filling more like a taco flavoring? Is there rice in it? It sounds good.

Oh gosh, Phyllis--more snow??? Stay safe and warm. I can't believe it's snowing in the middle of April!!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:00PM
terilyn

Waiting for hubby to bring home chicken tacos al carbon, some pico and rice! I am hungry!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:14PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We went to 5 guys burgers and fries for the first time ever. I would agree with what I have heard very good indeed. I didn't know that the burger was a double meat, Omg huge. Great fries too. I have lots of fries left.

Boy I would have been right there with you eating a lb of those shrimp. I love them and I like them hot not on ice, good and spicy. Willies here does them good and they are jumbos.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:03PM
sjerin

Yoghurt chicken, sauteed new potatoes, asparagus and salad. Pretty yummy.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:26PM
susie53_gw

Hubby's gone for a week so I don't have to cook much. Yea!! Love the break but I will be happy to cook once again when he gets home. I made him ham salad and chicken salad so I have been eating this..

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Site of the Day Mar 6
Debbie Does Cakes - amazing sculpted cakes. http://www.debbiedoescakes.net/#!page2/cjg9...
caseynfld
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Amazing Aunt Audrey
What kind of tape to use?
We were Freecycled a Stir-Crazy popcorn popper. It...
Jasdip
Still Alice
The weather here held out long enough to get to the...
Georgysmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™