Rust Stains on White Fiberglass steps

rockmamaJune 29, 2008

While swimming the other day, I noticed 8 round rust spots on the lowest step of our in-ground pool. When rubbing my finger over them and trying to figure out what and how they got there, started to pick up BB's in the water. Our neighbor has 4 boys with BB guns. Do I have to wait to drain the pool in the fall to remove these spots? What product would take these stains out? Thanks for any suggestions...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Boby Huffard

As others have said, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is great. I had some stains on the steps from the end of the hose resting there when I added water. The Magic Eraser removed the stains. Now I am more careful not to let the hose rest on the step, just in the water.

I thought BB's were lead, but I guess not for the smaller guns. (coated steel?)

Boby

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 11:09AM
gracedunderpressure

I had read that rubbing ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on the spot will take them off, too.

I always worry about what the mystery cleaner is in a Magic Eraser (several of my kids are developing chemical sensitivity) so I don't use it - any idea what it is?

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 2:27PM
rockmama

Thanks for the idea of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Used it today and rust spots are gone. Also the stubborn water line. Steps look like new. I have found a new staple to my pool supplies. It is chemical free, it works on abrasives only.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™