lemon-yellow stain on granite (Colonial Cream)

SeeBuyFlyMarch 3, 2013

We have a granite countertop (Colonial Cream, reportedly a very porous granite, but well sealed). We have kept a large soap dish on it, with a white towel between the dish and the countertop, for a couple of years. The dish was moved for cleaning the countertop, every couple of months or so.

Nothing happened until recently, when a bright, irregular lemon-yellow stain appeared under it.

Now I know that stain removal starts with identifying the source of the stain. In this case we don't have a clue. The towel was dry but could possibly have become wet in the past from water spilled nearby. The color is nothing like the reddish-yellow color of iron. The area is still waterproof (unsealed areas turn brown upon becoming wet; this area doesn't).

I have tried #40 hydrogen peroxide with ammonia (Windex) and also bleach (separately!). Perhaps there is no reason they should work if the area repels water, but anyway they didn't work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiko

No idea, but I have bad a bright blue stain on our travertine bathroom counter. A bottle of Windex tipped over and was slowly leaking. I just kept putting water puddles over it. After a few days the blue went away.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 7:33PM
rkb21

Yikes! We are getting colonial dream granite whenever we finalize things for the kitchen. I didn't realize this was a porous granite. What did you do to make sure that the fabricators sealed it properly since it sounds like it has been sealed correctly...just for future reference.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions...don't have granite yet.
I hope some others will give you a solution :)

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:56PM
SeeBuyFly

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Colonial Dream, which is a much darker granite.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:57PM
oldryder

could the color be dye bleeding from the towel? if yes it'll likely be very difficult to remove the stain.

when you tried the solvents did you make a poultice?

if no heres how to remove a stain:

make a poultice of the solvent mixed with diatamaceous earth or baking soda. should be wet but not runny.

put poultice over stain area and cover the poultice with plastic wrap. Tape down the plastic on 3 sides. (this allows the poultice to dry much more slowly, usually a co uple of days)

repeat if necessary.

if the stain is oil based it helps to warm up the stone.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Is glazing stained cabinets going out of style?
It seems like glazing white or cream cabinets is already...
nerdyhousewife
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™