What kind of curtains can i use for these odd windows..

adib_yApril 18, 2014

Hi guys, I have two windows in my apartments that are adjacent to wall, what kind of covering do you suggest i use for these windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

I'd leave the top pane as it is and put privacy film on the bottom two. The handle looks like it would be in the way of blinds or curtains.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:40PM
Errant_gw

Those are very odd windows! Maybe floor to ceiling panels the same color as the wall to help them disappear?

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:50PM
Annie Deighnaugh

what do you need the treatment to do? privacy? light control?

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 5:16PM
adib_y

@Tibbrix
I like to use something more creative since these windows are in living room.
@errant
I cant cover them compeletly, I need the light.
@Annie
for left window privacy and for the right one and door, light control.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 11:19PM
stolenidentity

I would put a curtain rod above both of the double windows (not the upper pane one - unless that is also needed for privacy) and put some matching light weight fabric curtains that can be easily slid left or right as desired using some color and/or pattern. Pretty interesting windows for sure, please show us what you come up with!

This post was edited by sasafras on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 23:57

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 11:56PM
My3dogs

Hi, adib, This may sound like a silly question, but do you want to be able to see out the windows, or just have the light that comes through them? I ask because I thought of the privacy film type of covering that I have linked below.

There are many variations of similar products, some with designs in them, but they do help with privacy. You may be able to use this up to a certain height, rather than cover the entire expanse of glass, which would allow privacy, but then allow you to see out above it. It would also be out of the way of the door to the entry vestibule.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-Adhesive Frosted Privacy Window Film

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:48AM
ellendi

It looks like curtains would get in the way of your door. I would get simple cellular shades for everything.
It does look like the handle might get in the way when raising and lowering, but I would like put my hand behind there as I guided the shade down at night.
Or, basic shades in a textured pattern and color.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:50AM
louislinus

I think you are going to have to have some type of shade. I really like the stick bamboo Roman ones you can get for pretty cheap at Lowe's and Home Depot. It seems like anything you put in there will get in the way of the door. At least with a Roman shade you can keep it pulled up to a certain height to avoid the door.

Drapes would be a tough. I had drapes hanging near a door once and they were constantly getting caught in the door and they were always dirty at the bottom.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 8:07AM
jmc01

Are the door and window frames wood, metal or aluminum?

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:06AM
nosoccermom

I'd get either bamboo blinds or Roman shades, either flat or softer with a scoop (or whatever it's called). Either way, I'd hang them as high as possible and obviously outside mount.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:35AM
arkansas_girl

Since this is an apartment, I would say that putting a film on them would probably be your best bet, nothing permanent. It doesn't look like there's much place for drilling screws to hang anything.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:40AM
graywings123

I don't know what the curtain, drapery, and hardware options are in Iran, but I would suggest mounting a rod at the ceiling and hanging a white cotton sheer fabric that could be stacked on the left when open. You might have to attach the rod on the ceiling.

I also like the idea above with the Roman shades, but the window handle could get in the way.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:46AM
kswl2

I like the treatments suggested by nosoccermom, above. May I ask where you live? That sort of vestibule arrangement isn't something we see in the southern U.S.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:03AM
nosoccermom

OP said s/he lives in Iran. Welcome to the forum!

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 12:15PM
kswl2

Actually that info is only on his/her member page.....I reread the thread several times trying to figure out how anybody knew that from the posts until it finally occurred to me to click On the "my page" link......duh! I am slow!

Adib, welcome to Gardenweb, how exciting to have a new member from so far away!

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 1:09PM
adib_y

Thanks alot everyone for your helpful suggestions, I think I'm gonna change the handles and then use the some form of shades either basic or roman type.
I also like the suggestion by graywings but since its a small apartment I guess using shades would be a better choice.
Privacy films are also good idea but since the window frames are aluminum I prefer to cover the frames too.
I'm from Iran and currently living in Iran. I won't have difficulty finding shades or blinds or any other type of coverings since there are numerous European brands selling their products here.
Thanks again and I'll update this post when I'm done.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 1:48AM
adib_y

I forgot to say Its a very rare arrangement of windows even in Iran but since the price for this apartment was low and I'm a single guy, so I decided to buy it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
Help!! Has anyone seen this rug??
I saved this rug in one of my files last week. Now...
lcskaisgir
How do you dress a 30' expanse of windows?
I have a wall with three sets of sliding doors onto...
a2momcheers
Sponsored Products
Pioneer Diamond Curtain Valance 54 x 16
$27.95 | Bellacor
Ruffles Lace Shower Hook - Set of 12
$12.99 | zulily
Woodstock Asli Arts 30 Inch Gamelan Wind Chime - C110
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Shower Curtain Artistic - Vintage Lamour a Paris Sepia
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Chooty and Co Zig Zag Candy Pink Lined Placemat - Set of 4 - PSET2129
$34.99 | Hayneedle