Husband insisting on hanging light before table HELP

jterrilynnApril 19, 2014

The light has cables so I want it right. The light can come down another 6", ceiling is 8'. Right now he has it at 67 1/4 " off the floor. The next size rod will bring it down 6". He says he is not changing it but I talked him out of cutting the cables. Too high where its at? He will listen to you all lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

Can't see your pictures, but I might go ahead and call an electrician once the table is in place. That is what I did. He was happy to try various rod sections together. He even suggested trying once more with the longest rod section combined with one of the others, but I decided to live with it for a while and see. He was right.

Husbands aren't always as willing to try and try again. Maybe if they were being paid... ;)

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 4:45PM
jterrilynn

Thank you Cyn, I don't know what's up with photobucket . The pictures loaded but will not show here. Anyway I talked him into a break. He is just getting tired from remodel ...just don't want him cutting any cables! I think it's too high but the man says its a stupid light and he's doing no adjustments lol.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:30

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 5:17PM
chibimimi

Rule of thumb is that the fixture should hang to 30" above the table. Since tables are 30" high, this means it should hang at 60" off the floor. This really looks too low when the table is absent, but hanging it higher means less light gets to the table and the shadows are less flattering to the happy faces clustered around it.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 6:19PM
patricianat

http://www.residentiallighting.com/proper-height-hanging-dining-room-chandelier

In case you want to "show him." My husband is not from Missouri. I think he is from another planet. He has to be shown, led by the nose kicking and screaming.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 6:28PM
clt3

We had a 5'6" electrician tell us that 66" was the preferred distance from the floor so he installed every fixture over a table so that the bottom was at the top of his head. Handy!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:50AM
hhireno

Heehee clt3. Did he pick the career based on his height or was it a lucky discovery after he became an electrician?

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:57AM
msrose

Interesting. I'm planning to get a new light and wanted to ask if there was a rule on how low it should hang. I just measured my current light at it's 40" from the table. I'm so used to it at that height, I can't imagine it being 30". I like where yours in now, but I'd have to see it lower to know which I would like better. I know, that doesn't help much :)
I would probably leave it where it is though.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 10:09AM
jterrilynn

Love the glow even without the bottom cover plate fuser. But IâÂÂm thinking too high. Anyway, husband has calmed down from the bad instructions so I am no longer in a panic. ItâÂÂs staying half done until the table comes. I think whatâÂÂs bugging my eye is that it is on another plane from the range hood. This may be silly!

Over 6â man sitting under light.

Clt3, funny but handy!

Patricia, he has calmed down but not enough to show him a link yet lol. I have to say those direction's were pretty bad.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:32

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 10:27AM
patricianat

Bless his heart. They mean well. I might be married to his brother. LOL.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 10:53AM
msrose

When are you getting the table? Can't wait to see the final outcome!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:32AM
jterrilynn

Msrose, I was hoping for the table today but itâÂÂs not going to happen. I found an ad on CL for two round glass top tables. One had a base of golden tones (sort of a eighties table but very cool). The glass top to the table base I wanted was around 50â the other table has a tiny white ceramic base with a 60â glass top. I was trying to get the guy to swap table tops and the kook wonâÂÂt do it (yet). The 60â top is far better suited for the golden base size. So, I told him to keep my number if he gets no bites. IâÂÂm thinking I will eventually get a call because the bigger table top on that puny white stem will be a hard sell.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
Please Post Pics of your 5' wide floors or 3.25' wide floors
Please post pics of your 5" wide hardwood floors...
susanlynn2012
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Sponsored Products
Hammary Concierge Round 3 Piece Coffee Table Set
Beyond Stores
Garden Party Table
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Polished Chrome Table Lamp w/ Ebony Sewn Pleated Shade w/ White Lining
$438.95 | Bellacor
Wood Wooden Table Lamp: Portable Lamp 19.5-in. Portable Table Lamp, Wood Base wi
$62.00 | Home Depot
Cafe Curved Back Chairs and Table Set, Patio Furniture
$679.00 | FRONTGATE
Bling Bang Table Lamp by George Kovacs
$150.00 | Lumens
Regatta Blue Narrow Zig Zag Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
White Laquer Nook Coffee Table
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™