filter pump won't start

mashmasherJune 15, 2010

My pool filter pump (pentair) is just over a year old and it just turns hums then stops, It just happened and I have to wait until Wednesday for the pool builder to look at it. What are your guesses on what is wrong? the baskets are all empty and the cartridges weren't clogged.

How long does it take water to get to unsafe levels without the filter running in hot weather?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
psfc

I recently had a similar issue on my pump and it is only a couple years old. It is likely the capacitor which in my case was an easy fix. I checked to make sure there were no obstructions and then checked that the impellor could freely rotate ( of course making sure that the motor could not be accidentally started while my hand was insude). Took the old capacitor to pool store and got a replacement ($30). My pool went a few days without the pump as it happended over memorial day weekend, i just poured some shcok in the pool to hold it over but that is not based on anything except it was the suggestion when we lost power during the hurricane a couple of years ago.

Matt

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 4:13PM
mashmasher

I hope that is the case, where is the capacitor?

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 6:56PM
psfc

On my pump it is the only thing sticking out on the top of the motor portion of the pump (I have a Jandy Stealth - you can look at pictures online and see the protrusion on the back end/motor portion on the pump). it is at the 12 o'clock position on the motor and has a cover and gasket held on by 2 screws. Let me know the brand and model of your pump and if I can tell from online pictures I will let you know where it might be.

Matt

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 8:25AM
mixman1

Be careful, capacitors can hold a charge. Make sure the power is off, and discharge the capacitor by laying the blade of a screwdriver across the terminals. This will short any remaining charge to ground. Then it is safe to handle the capacitor.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 11:27AM
mashmasher

Apparently it was still under warranty. My pool builder service guy came out swapped the capacity and everything was working again. He left me the old one so I know what one needs to be replaced if it happens again out of warranty time.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:20PM
swim_dude

I have the same thing happening with our pool pump. I have a 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth as well. Our pump just makes a humming noise when turned on, but will not actually turn the impeller inside. The motor gets really hot and will eventually shut itself off. Does this sound like what was happening to yours?

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 5:18PM
just-a-pb

It is possible.
Is it still under warranty?

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™