What machine stitch length for stitching in the ditch?

babushka_catJanuary 26, 2014

Hi all,
I had my intro Bernina class yesterday and am now attempting to finish the first small UFO -a wall hanging! I am stitching in the ditch first. What stitch length do you recommend? My stitches seem pretty small, perhaps too small....
Any other tips you are are appreciated. I have the walking foot on, they taught me how to use it! yeah!

Babushka in CA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

I love my walking foot and use it most of the time. I don't have a standard stitch length for SITD but it is usually somewhere around 8/inch.

beverly

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva

It depends on the finished effect you want, which depends on the size and type of thread used. Heavier thread and larger stitches will emphasize the outline while lightweight thread and smaller stitches will more likely visually "disappear". Transparent monofilament is popular because it 'disappears' best -- and it also doesn't visually shriek if the stitches aren't always quite in the ditch. Practice on a working scrap (same materials as the finished quilt but in a 12" square) so that you can see the different effects. Do use a quilting needle in the machine and remember to check that top and bottom threads are balanced... quilting is different from piecing and one usually has to tighten or loosen the tension.

I usually use approximately 12 to the inch when I want the blocks to be outlined but not emphasized.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 13-15
My DD and I are going to post a quilt-along on my blog...
lindaoh_gw
2010 Birthday blocks together.
Haven't posted much lately as I had pneumonia from...
nanajayne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™