Block large openings in ornamental wrought iron railing?

rhileighalmgrenAugust 3, 2010

Hi All -

I've been struggling with this for a few days, and realized I could use some help. I have a wrought iron (or maybe aluminum, I don't know) railing along the porch of a rental that I will only be living in for a few more months. Here is a picture of it.

My dog has recently discovered that he can circumvent the baby gate at the top of the stairs by walking through the large square openings in the fence. I don't leave him outside when I'm not home, but I'd like to encourage him not to take advantage of my inattention to go on walkabout (typically lizard hunting in our yard). I'd like to accomplish this by blocking the openings with something simple and not too-hideously ugly. I'm thinking of running a 1 or 2" wide webbing strap horizontally through the middle (this would be sufficient for the dog; he doesn't try very hard to get out), but I don't know what like this might be available for a reasonably low price. If it is really cheap, I'll do the whole fence (31'), but I only really need to cover 8' to prevent the dog from going on walkabout.

I would recommendations on a non-ugly cheap type of webbing or strap as well as other ideas for blocking the openings.

Thanks!

RA

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of railing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Mini blinds from wallmart. J.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 7:39PM
weedyacres

Get a roll of clear fishing line and run it across the whole length, wrapping around each post as you pass it. Do that with a few runs, a few inches apart, and that should keep him in.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 2:25PM
patchworkfarm

Deer or bird netting would also work. It's black and virtually invisible when stretched tight. Use black zip ties, trimmed tight, to afix.

You can get this relatively cheap at Home Depot or a farm or garden store.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™