What's the best stain for pressure-treated wooden deck? ro pls

mailynnAugust 25, 2005

Hi

I am usually at the Home decorating site but really need some expert advice. Almost finished our deck. I plan to do a semi-transparent stain on the floor and a solid stain on the rails, etc.

I live in a place with warm summers, cold snowy winters. Northeast coastal weather.

Thanks

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

TWP. John

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 6:01PM
mailynn

Hi John

Thanks for your answer.

What is TWP?

Linda

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 8:43PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

Check out...

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=58903&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2113

THey don't review all products... but if you don't want to get the most $$$.. and one that is tested by these guys... go for the Olympic semi-transparent... at Lowes.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 11:58AM
pressurepros

Olympic stain stinks, the Olympic Maximum is a decent product. Don't put too much weight in consumer reports. I will say no more.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 6:10PM
seeformiles

I'm confused. What makes TWP the best? Elsewhere in here I read that you can't recoat it without stripping it, which is a big downside to me. I'm looking for pigmented stain for my pressure treated deck (in full sun) which will have to be retreated as little as possible, but when it does only needs to be pressure washed and then retreated. Is TWP my best choice? Or what is (from personal experience please!)

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 9:44PM
john_hyatt

I cant belive you dug all that way back,,,2005 ???
Anyway,twp 116 requires cleaning and good weather for the overcoat, I have never had to strip a twp project of mine. I do have a past Wallet that put silkens over the twp I put on,,,now that project will require a lot of stripping.

The thing with a project using pt for decking...... no I wont say that..hmmmmm not that either..... Preasure Treated yellow pine is pron to warping twisting shrinking splintering things like that when laying flat to the sun no matter how its fastened or what finish is placed on it.

A person can use a bad finish and make matters worst like thompsons,silkins,cwf,aquatroll but really no finish is going to change the nature of yellow pine. J

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 11:17PM
emcdowell_servicemagic_com

It works really well due to high acrylic content and extreme metal particle content. It will protect pressure treated better than any other stain by far.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 5:14PM
notlisted_here_com

re: Plastiron - how come a google of 'plastiron' comes back with only complaints?

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 7:13PM
ronaldphillipe_gmail_com

looking at all of the complaints, they seem to be from one person who got some on his siding and couldn't get it off. doesn't appear to say anything about the product breaking down or not working. i'd be careful not to get it on your house though.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
decorative Concrete porch floor over concrete?
We poured our porch a couple of years ago, thinking...
DruidClark
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™