Ideas for wall mounted countertop

marleycat25March 15, 2013

I have a blank wall that I want to mount a 7' counter. I want to use this for eating and want room for 4 stools.. I am thinking it needs to be at least 18" to 20" deep. I do not know what product would be best suited for this.. Granite seems to heavy to mount with brackets. Would it better to use a laminate? Has anyone ever done something like this? If, so what did you use for the actual counter and how did you mount it... For some reason this project has me stumped, not sure where to start.. Would love your advise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitamo

There are so many different styles of wall brackets out there. Here's one idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 7:54PM
EATREALFOOD

Can you use Richelieu legs and a piece of finished formica attached to the wall ? I used an Ikea table for many many years in my kitchen. It was white, mounted on one end to the wall, curved on the other end and had one metal leg. I was amazed at how long it held up, how functional it was and the weight it held. A inexpensive peninsula, it served as a breakfast and dining table and buffet table for parties.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 7:55PM
marleycat25

I actually had thought about butcher block... I would rather not have legs, but looking at that pic helps..The brackets look great! Does anyone have input about how deep the counter should be to comfortably have a meal there?

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:05AM
Annie Deighnaugh

7' might be a tad crowded for 4 stools unless you can sneak one in on the end....i usually figure 24" per person. If you plan on using the end, then you should have the counter 24" deep. If that's too deep, then you might want to at least round the ends as that gives a little more elbow room to whoever is sitting there.

"Table-height surfaces should be at least 18 inches deep, because your knees are bent at right angle. Taller chairs require less bend in the knees. The NKBA recommends a depth of 15 inches for a counter-height surface and 12 inches for a bar-height surface. "

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:17AM
marleycat25

Thank you for the measurement guidelines...big help

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:58PM
jakuvall

I've used brackets from Rakks several times. Mostly the ones that are hidden in the wall but they have many and support substantial weight and depth.
My office has an "L" section of desk 6 plus ft on each, 23 in deep- 1-1/2" tick wood top. There is a 15" cabinet on each end- the rest is on two suppots. Did a clients office with an 8 by 10 ft ell with just brackets.

Here is a link that might be useful: rakks supports

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Budget or DIY Counter Options
I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to bounce out there,...
denizenx
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™