Widest French Binding You've made

magothyrivergirlJanuary 29, 2012

I finished the top to a King Size Jelly Roll Race quilt.

I started it at Retreat and it is the last project I have to finish from Camp Cheerio. It is made from Batiks - it needs either a border or wider binding to frame it. I am leaning toward a Wide Binding. Normally, I do a very narrow full binding. I did a wider binding on one quilt, but I can't remember how wide - maybe 3/4" finished.

I will make a bias double fold (French) binding, as this quilt will be for us and get used and washed often.

What is the widest binding you recommend for a full nice binding? I am using a wool batting.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

I'd vote for a border. I think borders frame a quilt better than just binding and you can control how wide to make it.

I've made a 3/4" binding on one quilt but not any wider. I prefer my bindings very narrow now. I cut 1-7/8" and double which ends up being about 1/4" when done. I use the Sharon Schamber glue method. I don't get wavy borders that way.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 11:13AM
magothyrivergirl

Thanks for responding Linda. I also cut my bindings at 1-7/8" -I 'Sally Collins' my bindings - except mostly (gasp! please don't tell Sally~lol) I sew to the back & flip to the front, and machine stitch and it looks great. I think because I use her precise method, it allows the very narrow binding to look great this way. I taught myself to do bindings from her books.
My problem with this quilt is I am maxxing out the available space on my 10' frame. The Jelly Roll quilts - esp this one - really needs squaring, so maybe I will cut more off the width and make up the difference in a border, and stick with a matching narrow border.
I like the frame of the borders on a busy quilt - and this one is busy!

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 1:23PM
toolgranny

Anxious to see it. I remember it as being very colorful. Hope it goes well.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 10:45AM
rosajoe_gw

I'm no help, I have never made a wide binding. Looking forward to the pics too!
Rosa

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™