Protecting screened in porch in the winter

mcgregor287287August 13, 2010

I have a screened in porch with 5 screens that have openings of 4' wide by 5' high and am looking for a solution to protect it during the winter (Massachusetts). I tried the plastic on the outside of the windows - you know how that went. Then we built frames for the inside and that's okay, but I am wondering if there is any type of system, that we could either construct or purchase, that I could just attach to the outside in the winters and cover with glass or plexiglass. I really don't want to put windows in, that would defeat the feel of the room to me. I have looked on line but really haven't found what I'm looking for. The room is sided on the outsied and there is probably 8 inches of space between each window.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
porchtalk

Have you investigated EzeBreeze panels? I know you don't want the look of windows but you can remove the panels (vinyl vice glass) in summer, etc., and re-install them in the fall/winter. Or, you can leave them up all year as they come in two track and four track systems. You don't need additional framing and they are built to fit any size opening. We haven't personally used them but did do a review on them not too long ago. Found them to be a great product. I wish these were available when we lived in New Hampshire for a number of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: screen porches

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™