Best finish for Garapa Deck

run53August 3, 2009

Thanks to all the advice here, my Garapa decking from East Teak is on the delivery truck and should be at my house sometime this week. It's not that big, so I expect it to be fastened down within a few days after arrival.

Now for the next phase. How to finish it.

Everything I read on-line says go with a Penetrating oil. I know John will recommend TWP and that sounds like a good option as well. I am having a hard time differentiating between Penofin, Woodrich Wiping stain and Cabot Australian Timber Oil.

Are there any Pros/Cons that can be shared? Are there other brands I should consider? I don't want to make a mistake and put something down that needs to be sanded when re-finishing time comes.

Thanks for all the advice so far and looking forward to more on the finish :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salmon_slayer

what did you decide on? Any pictures? I am not sure all the Timber oils have UV protection. Woodrich is selling samples now, worth a shot

let us know how is goes

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 11:41AM
run53

I am still fastening the new garapa so have not chosen yet. I will look for a timber oil wth UV protection for sure. When i decide on the finish, I'll post a picture.

Still looking for recommendations from folks who have finished Garapa though.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 9:32PM
marcus4

I just finished my Garapa with TWP 100 Series. 2 Parts Dark Oak and 3 Parts Cedartone. Came out to be a very nice color.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 11:54PM
weedyacres

Got any pics, Marcus?

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 8:11PM
derekbertrand

What type of look are you trying to go for? If you want to keep Garapa looking the same I have a product called Wood Protect. It's 100% invisible. Water-based. Zero VOC's. Will last 5-7 years depending on traffic. UV inhibitor. Lowers the surface temperature about 7-10%. Simple pressure wash will clean it, actually, since it bonds to the wood at the molecular level, all you need to use is a garden hose to clean it. Also, because of traffic over the years, you can spot treat it. No need to strip and reapply. Kinloch is the manufacturer if you'd like to check it out. We're working on a pigment in case you are looking to darken your material, but that won't be out for a few more weeks.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 4:16PM
salmon_slayer

Deek,

I looked up the references you provided and they are a bit thin. This is not to imply the product is not good. I am in the business where we require products to show factual independent testing to demonstrate their product capabilities. Performing accelerated life testing for the product you are promoting is not difficult and can be accomplished in short order. Have you considered having an independent lab perform these tests? Facts and supporting evidence will help you sell here.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 10:00PM
run53

I decided upon Woodrich wiping stain (Brown Sugar). I ordered the samples and they were at my house in 3 days. I did some boards and just ordered the Hardwood stain/cleaning kit.

Hopefully all will work out well. I can post pics once I get the shipment and do the work.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Mike

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Gemini Restore-A-Deck vs Woodrich Cleaner/Brightener
It's been awhile for me on this forum but I remember...
mike13
Sponsored Products
Soho Polished Chrome Three-Light Large Flush Fixture w/Satin White Glass
$145.99 | Bellacor
Athens Gray 2� Hexagon Polished Marble Mosaics
$15.99 | TileBar
Hinkley Lighting | Lanza 5103 Bath Bar
$249.00 | YLighting
Minka Lavery 2-Light Outdoor Prussian Gold Flush-Mount Light
Home Depot
Samuel Heath - Wall mounted Tub Filler with handshower - V2KA32SC-AG
PlumbTile
Bennett Collection Chrome 22" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
LaPalma | Cut Armchair, Metal 4-Leg Base
YLiving.com
Biscayne Cast Aluminum White Outdoor Arm Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™