pre-treat a composite deck?

still_lynnskiAugust 9, 2010

I believe I read a suggestion on this forum about pre-treating a composite deck with some type of sealer within 60 days of installation. Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

I would appreciate suggestions about treating a composite deck with some type of sealer soon after installation.

The value of this forum is sometimes compromised by the antagonism of the lumber/composite wars. Please don't blast me for choosing a product you would not have chosen! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

No problem Still.
I have had good results puting finish on the soft composites. It wont work with the newer plastic coated product of course but say moisture shield/epoch even the dreaded trex take finish very well.

It actually turns a weak point into a strong one. The stuff stains up real easy anyway with most anything. They really soak up the finish. I have choice decking on the treads of my outdoor stairway and landing completed with two coats of twp 116 rustic after 5 years or so it looks the same as the day I put it on. The trouble tree that drips sap/slime on that area was a problem before now it just washes off.

There is no reason to wait at all or do any prep becides cleaning the surface. J.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 2:50PM
still_lynnski

That's great news and clear information. Much appreciated!

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 5:16PM
still_lynnski

New question--Could anyone recommend a TWP color that has no reddish tint at all? I'm going over a composite (Fiberon) that's medium brown, and I do not want the color to redden up at all. Medium brown is what I want--think white oak or walnut, not red oak or cherry. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 8:53AM
weedyacres

TWP's Dark oak is a golden (not red) color.

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™