2 eggs room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly butter the sides of a 9" cake pan (not a spring foam pan)

Combine the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg in a
small saucepan. Stir & bring to a boil & boil for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan & spread evenly on the bottom. Put the peeled & sliced apples evenly on the bottom of the pan & press slightly to level them.
To make the cake beat the butter & sugar with a electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs & vanilla & beat until very smooth & fluffy about 2 min. Stir the flour, cornmeal, baking powder & salt together then sprinkle over the butter-sugar mix, add the milk & beat just until the batter is evenly moistened about 1 min. Spoon the batter over the apples & smooth the top.

Bake 50 min or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Run a knife along the outer edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Place a plate over the cake, then flip it over to invert the cake onto the plate. Let cool completely before serving.

2 notes: Be careful with the caramelized part as it is very hot & can burn you. Make sure your plate is larger then the cake or you will have a mess when you turn over the cake.

This post was edited by mary3444 on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 20:01

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patti43

Mary, thank you for posting the recipe. Interesting addition of corn meal, huh? I will make it for sure! I bet the house smells wonderful while it's baking.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:27PM
suzieque

Wanted to let you know that I made this cake yesterday. OMG it is fabulous! I started eating it right out of the oven, and had to force myself to stop. Later on after dinner, we heated some up in the microwave and put a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top. Incredible. Thank you so much for posting it.

One question, is the 9 inch cake pan supposed to be a round cake pan or a square cake pan, or does it even matter?

I used Square, and I'm wondering if I should have used round. I know it wouldn't change the taste, but maybe the height. Anyway, thank you so much. It was delicious.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:42PM
mary3444

Suzieque-glad you enjoyed the recipe. It does not matter weather you use a round or square pan, they both work fine. I always said I wanted to be a chef or baker in another life. If I could I would be in the kitchen cooking all day.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 6:09PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sounds delectable! I've put it on my "must make " list.

I'm going to make an inconsequential correction.....the name of apple variety is spelled Cortland, named after the county in which I was born and grew up. It's a hybrid of the wonderful Mcintosh. Gosh, what flavorful apples (Cortland and Mcintosh)! I'd rather not make an apple recipe if I can't find one of those, lol.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 6:08AM
suzieque

I used Granny Smith apples. That's what I usually use when I'm make an apple dessert. I'm sure it would be just as delicious with the others, as well.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
caseynfld
Hung Jury
Jodi Arias will not get the death penalty.
Amazing Aunt Audrey
when does your "Spring Cleaning" start?
This time around I'm going to be organized about it....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Thursday evening Dinner
I made chicken parm tonite. I opened a bottle of strained...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™