Kool Deck Paint or Stain

alan_gardenerMay 3, 2007

I have Kool Decking around my pool that is looking very weathered and I'd like to paint/stain it. I was going to use Behr 1-Part Epoxy on it(says on the brochure that it's for Kool Decks) but Home Depot said that it would bond well and look good but would take away from what the Kool Decking does - ie - stay cool. I was told the same thing about stains from a Glidden sales rep. I went to a pool supplies company and picked up some Xcel Surfaces Top Coat to use instead. Regarding this, I was told that it would only last 1-2 years. So, my question is, can I paint/stain my Kool Deck or is it of such a different chemical composition that it won't take staining/painting well? I would like to roll something on that lasts and resists the hot sun here in Arizona. Thx for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
troublefreepool

Mortex sells a Kool Deck repair kit and you can choose your collor. They are the makers of Kook Deck so that might be your best bet.
http://www.mortex.com/products/kxrk.html

If you have time, drop in to my site below and post a picture of your deck. Myself or another member may be able to give you a better answer

Here is a link that might be useful: pool help

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 2:48AM
airborne101

Personal experience- hate Mortex, it peeled. Xcel top coat is great and should last longer than 1-2 years. Pressure wash first and remove and patch any bad old kool deck. We're in the Vegas area so weather is similar, good luck. Barb

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 2:51PM
kristenfl

I have a Spraycrete Deck, but I think it's just a different name for the same thing. I was given one of the sheets with around 10 colors to pick from. I wanted a different color, and they told me that they don't often tell customers this, but they get the paint from Porter Paints and that I could choose any Porter Paint color and they could use it. Might be worth checking into. BTW, my deck is always cool, even in the Florida summers.

Kristen

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 5:12PM
lnsauve_aol_com

What about a solvent based stain on clay coping and concrete pool deck? Need color to hide previous application of latex paint.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™