1/8-inch backsplash tile joints: Sanded or unsanded grout?

LinelleMarch 5, 2012

I'm totally confused. My backsplash will be 3x6 subways (ceramic crackle), running bond, with 1/8" joints. I have been telling the tile store and tile setter that I wanted unsanded grout. It has dawned on me that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I find that on GW some say sanded, others say unsanded for 1/8". Someone had their glass tile scratched because sanded grout was used, but I'm not using glass.

Do I want sanded or unsanded grout? Pros/cons?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I've heard that 1/8" can go either sanded or unsanded. Any larger spacing needs sanded and any smaller needs unsanded. The scratching would be an issue with glass I am told. I used sanded on my marble that is polished and I don't think it scratched. I will be using unsanded on my ceramic tile that I am using in my BR in the near future because the joint is very tiny. I think with sanded grout there is less shrinkage on those larger joints.

I hope that has helped because I just realized that I prefaced every item above with an "I think" or "I've heard".

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:28PM
Emilner

I would use unsanded. Sanded grout is used on larger gaps because the sand acts as an aggregate holding the large gap together. It is not as clean looking as unsanded though. You do see the sand in it where unsanded is very smooth.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:33PM
plllog

Never sanded. That's the yucky stuff that catches on your sponge. You only need sanded for wider joints. Some glass tile calls for sanded, but that's when it's bevelled and there's a wider gap on the underside.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:36PM
Linelle

Never sanded.

Thanks everyone. I like definitive answers.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:42PM
Angie_DIY

The above is all true. 1/8" is the break point between sanded and unsanded. The issue is that grout shrinks (while sand does not); if you bridge too large a gap with unsanded, the shrinkage results in cracking. You are fine with 1/8", however.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:01PM
davidro1

sand can be coarse or fine-grained.

Sand can be sharp edged or round particles.

When grouting, you may smooth out the surface and ensure that sand particles are not protruding.

Additionally, ....

Sand may be good, in grout.

YMMV.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 12:12PM
Linelle

I will continue this discussion with my tile setters. Plus my quest for a better gray.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Wolf gas range owners - would you buy Wolf again?
I posted a question on the Appliances forum last night...
kaysd
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Ideas for backsplash???
We are making our way through a kitchen renovation,...
Jessica DeMay
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™