Did my contractor cheap out?

emily928August 18, 2010

Yesterday our contractor came to stain the second story deck they built for us several months back. I haven't had a chance to go out and inspect the work yet, but my husband said he noticed that they didn't stain the underside of the deck, which is clearly visible from the patio below the deck. I need to pull out the quote that he gave us for the staining work, but I don't think it specified exactly which surfaces would be stained. In your experience, is staining the underside of a second story deck something that would normally be done? One of the reasons we decided to pay $500 or $600 or whatever it was instead of trying to do it ourselves is that we thought it would be hard to get to those surfaces. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emily928

Any pros on here have any advice? I'd like to call the contractor and ask about it, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy first!

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 3:17PM
deckman22

Moat stains are only applied on the surface area, not the sides or bottom of the decking. Sikens is the only one I know of that you apply all the way around the deck boards, of course this has to be done prior to installing the boards.

Expect to pay more to have the underside stained.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:11AM
john_hyatt

If you wanted the underside of the project finished you should have made that clear in the contract.

John agrees with Al normaly the finish is put on the surface area only. J.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™