What countertop EDGE do you have?

Kek10March 31, 2013

I've been looking at countertop threads, and it seems there are a lot of "plain" edges (pencil, bullnose, bevel).

We are going for single Ogee with our granite (Top Star, which no one seems to have/heard of! ;). Should we go with something more subtle? I'm sure we have time to change if we want, we're a month+ out from demo never mind granite fabrication.

Please include your type/name of countertop, too!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KentWhitten

Ogee is fine. I would not go with bullnose because any liquid that gets spilled wicks right around and lands on the cabinetry.

Pencil edge IMO is timeless. Ogee is alright, there's nothing wrong with it.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:08PM
raehelen

I personally love ogee. I have it on the counter in my basement bathroom. It is a little more formal look (In my opinion), in my Master bath that we're doing right now, think I'm going to do a simple pencil edge, as I'm going simple and modern. Your fabricator hopefully will be able to let you know whether your particular granite is suitable for ogee--I know it is more prone to chips, etc. so for some of the more fragile/delicate granites it is not recommended.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:17PM
nycbluedevil

I had an ogee edge on my granite in my last kitchen. Hated it. It chipped and created another surface to keep clean.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:23PM
Holly- Kay

I love the Ogee edge. It is my favorite. My granite fabricator swayed me away from it as it is more easily chipped. I am going with the pencil edge instead and I know I will be happy with it,

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:00PM
buildinva

I love bullnose and was planning on that. Is it really a problem with liquids running down?

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:07PM
SparklingWater

Does an eased edge also wick around onto the cabinets below, anyone know? How is an eased edge with chipping?

This edge is what commonly comes with many granite/marble offers in our area (along with the D sink, which won't work as I'm getting a rectangular 30" to 33" under-mount single sink).

Thank you.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:16PM
taggie

You might also want to check out the thread linked below, it also has a variety of opinions on ogee and other edge profiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: ogee edge vs others?

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:18PM
SparklingWater

Thanks taggie.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:29PM
andreak100

We are going for an eased edge. We will have simple lines - slab doors.

Ogee is pretty in the right applications...our kitchen would look terrible with a fancy edge. But with the right cabinetry, I think it looks good. When talking with fabricators, many of them warned that the fancier edges with sharper corners do tend to chip more and also warned that some granite won't take/hold a fancy edge well. I believe (although I can't swear 100%) that it had to do with a higher mica content in some we were looking at.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:49PM
mdmc

We have pencil edge. My cabinets have a lot going on. I did not want to take away from them. By the way MY perception of bull nose is that it is more for a contemporary kitchen.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:54PM
teachertile

We went the crescent edge. The ogee is too fancy/formal for our house. We wanted a little something more than the pencil edge, so we went with the crescent. We really didn't like the bullnose because it takes so much granite away from the edge, so it makes the granite look much thinner than it actually is. We have giallo portafino granite.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:02PM
beekeeperswife

Eased edge on the perimeter.

Long Ogee on the island.

oh, and my counters are Super White (in this house). Did the same thing in last kitchen but with Bianco Antico.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:42PM
Debbi Branka

Blue pearl granite, ogee edge on perimeter. Statuary marble, ogee edge on island. LOVE ogee! Would really like a double ogee. Might try that in the master bath!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:15AM
Debbi Branka

Here's the blue pearl with the ogee edge.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:24AM
realism

Ogee always struck me as putting form above function. Try sweeping crumbs off an ogee edge. I think its better suited to a bathroom.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:27AM
ginny20

Agree with andreak. I have eased, both for ease of cleaning (sweeping crumbs) and because the simpler lines suited my kitchen's style.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 1:22PM
lazy_gardens

Plain "eased edge" ... matches the counter edge closely

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 2:03PM
palimpsest

I think it depends on the style of the kitchen. Ogee tends to be more formal/traditional.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 2:07PM
KentWhitten

That island is gorgeous. What is the color of that?

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 2:27PM
Debbi Branka

I don't have any trouble with crumbs.

Thanks Kent! Our island is Sherwin Williams naval.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™