I need ideas for the top of an outdoor storage box

GoofyYnoAugust 23, 2011

So far I have a stuccoed block wall with a concrete base that runs about 20' x 3.5'. I'd like to put a top on it that can open for storage, but will be use as seats /lounge chairs out by the pool. The lids should be waterproof for when it rains. Not to heavy so it can lift up- (probably in about 6' sections), but strong enough to support the weight of people on it. It also can't get too hot in the arizona sun (I plan on buying cushions to cover them, but the edges worry me). I am looking at some of the soft lid support hinges so it won't catch fingers on the way down.

I'm afraid a hardwood would be too heavy, a plywood, not waterproof, a metal too hot, and sharp on ends.

any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

MDO (medium density overlay) plywood. It's a plywood made with waterproof glues and a special paper coating designed to take paint. It's often used for signs.

You aren't likely to find it at the local home center, you'll need a specialty wood supplier.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 11:03PM
GoofyYno

would a lumber yard have it? do you need to cover with a sealer?

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 11:20AM
mike_kaiser_gw

The availability of MDO depends the lumberyard, call around. As for "sealing" it, it's designed to be painted and its surface looks a bit like cardboard. Paint would be your best option for finish longevity. I suppose you could use spar varnish but I'd save that for real wood.

If you're looking for something "nicer" there is marine grade plywood as well.

As an aside, don't confuse MDO with MDF (medium density fiberboard), they are two entirely different products.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 6:57AM
aidan_m

We make signs out of the MDO "sign board" They last many years in the northern california sun with the right primer and paint. Make sure to paint the edges real well. I recomment pre-painting everything before install. Then give it another coat after.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™