IPE (21mm) deck boards

firsttim115August 22, 2009

I have the deck boards (21mm) layed and fastened. The ends are about to be trimmed and I will cap these ends with the 21 mm 1x6. I'm going to snap a line to cut with my circular saw and Dremel.

The problem! I already have the rail posts up and its difficult to get my circular saw between to cut them. The base of the saw doesn't permit close cutting. I will use the Dremel to finish close to the posts. The wife and I agree this cut is critical for appearance. Has anyone been here before and had success with the cutting? Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

There is no mm in America, get it right.

Most of the time my posts are inside the 1 1/2'' frame so the Skill wormdrive saw has a 1 1/2'' plate works great. If you did this I am not understanding the problem.
JonMon

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 6:17PM
weedyacres

I did exactly what you described: cut most of the way with a circular saw and finished up close with a Dremel. It took a while for the Dremel to eat through the garapa, and it smoked a bit, but worked fine.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 9:54PM
firsttim115

Jon,
Yes, I agree and thanks for the rebuke :) . There isn't a problem now and I suppose it was more of a concern. My Porter Cable (wide plate) did most of the cutting.

I opted out on the Dremel. I did a test and yes, the smoke was a pillar, and I thought I would destroy my Dremel.

So, off to Lowes for a Bosch, flush cut, reprocating saw. It was worth the extra money and after a test cut I had no concerns. There may be other brands and locations out there but I like Bosch.

I have the end board layed out and screwed onto the frame. Counter sunk screws with 3/8" bit, 1/8" predrilled holes, and the IPE torx head screws, holes plugged and wood glued.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 7:41AM
salmon_slayer

firsttim

How about some pictures?

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™