Deck stain

mrs.iceAugust 22, 2013

I am currently receiving estimates for staining my deck. Tonight we had a gentleman come out and uses Sikkens and said that he recommends applying atleast 2 maybe 3 coats. I am not sure that is the right thing to do since the information on their website states it only needs 1 coat. I have never had a deck before so I'm not very sure. Some information on my deck is its pre treated and almost a year old.
Thank you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herpo43

I would definitely put 3 coats wet on wet. The trick to Sikkens is that it should be brushed for the stain to penetrate the wood to it's best ability. However, if the correct prep is not done before staining no deck stain/sealer will work very well.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:10PM
mrs.ice

Thank you for your reply!

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 9:42AM
DeckGirl

I use a product called Ready Seal. It is a penetrating stain and is really easy to apply. Sikkens is harder to work with but a professional contractor who is skilled in using the product will do fine. Sikkens creates a varnishy (best I can describe) and it is tough to remove. And that's something to consider.

And I agree with the first poster....prepping the wood is THE most important thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ready Seal Information

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:42AM
nerdyshopper

I haven't worked with Sikkens stuf but all the other stains I have used tell you not to apply more than one coat a year or more. I have done it anyway and got a varnish shiny oly kind of surface that was often sticky as well for a long time. Last week I just finished staining my old cedar deck with Cabot's Australian Timber oil. It gave a rich oly looking surface in only one coat. I recommend it if the limited color selection pleases you.

This post was edited by nerdyshopper on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:41

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™