where should I be looking for?

v1rtAugust 5, 2010

I really would like to save as much as possible when I build my patio. I like to have stones similar to the one below. I've seen some on craigslist but most I've seen were only selling 80 sq ft. Unilock pavers are nice but I like a natural look just like below. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stayathomedad

A friend of mine owns a natural tile shop and sells slate. I would call around to some natural stone suppliers and ask them. You can find them in the Yellow pages. I completed a similar project and hauled all the stone in the back of my minivan!

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 10:29AM
v1rt

Awesome stayathomedad! Would you mind sharing pics of your project? That means, I can also use my minivan to bring 'em home. :D

Is there a difference between slate and flagstone or are they the same? Which ever is cheaper, that's what I will buy.

Oh, I've also seen the word "quarry". What is it?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 12:29PM
v1rt

I have another question. I was able to watch how my patio was being built at the old house. I think they dug like 8 inches deep. Then pour 4 inch of small stones, followed by 1 inch of sand. They compact it first before putting another layer.

My question is about the 4 inch small stones. Is it gravel or crushed stones? What about the sand, is there a specific sand I should buy?

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 2:38PM
salmon_slayer

Baserock and sharp sand are what your looking for as a base. look at the instructions for installing pavers. The rock can be found at most landscape supply houses. the rock comes in various thicknesses and colors. 3/4" is the thinnest I have seen and they go up to a couple inches thick. flagstone is also avail.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 5:28PM
v1rt

Today, we looked for stones. I fell in love with the slate. They're like 2 ft x 1 ft. Actually, there are different dimensions. My wife and I loved it and agreed that it should be the one we should put. However, the nursery told us that they don't carry it. It was just put by another company. She gave me the contact number though.

Also, did some research yesterday. My friend told me that he used crushed limestones for the base. For the sand, I have no information yet. So sharp sand is what I should look for then.

Oh, I saw flagstones today at the same place. I don't like it anymore since they look like they're not safe for kids. they're sharp.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. :)

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Screening in deck - clear roof options
Hi all I'm thinking about screening in an existing...
claudialina10
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Exposed wiring in patio cover
We are building a new backyard patio cover and the...
vweidman
Gemini Restore-A-Deck vs Woodrich Cleaner/Brightener
It's been awhile for me on this forum but I remember...
mike13
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Sponsored Products
Houndstooth Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Sunnydaze Cast Iron Bowl Fire Pit with Copper Finish, 31 inch Diameter
SerenityHealth
Oasis Pewter 17-Inch One-Light Outdoor Fixture
$119.99 | Bellacor
Clear Glass Bathroom Shelf with Towel Bar
TheBathOutlet
Lazy Susan Short Antique Gray Vase with Organic Pattern
$50.00 | LuxeDecor