Covered concrete deck -- screen it, or not?

shelly_kJuly 6, 2009

We are building new construction and have a ranch plan with a walkout basement. Off the kitchen/dining area, we have a covered concrete deck, 18x14, over our walkout basement level. There are stairs down to the ground level.

I'm just curious how much it might cost to screen it, as opposed to buying the black, aluminum railing which tends to be very expensive?

The deck's open sides will be south and west with some shade trees, but not many.

What do you think? Screen it, or not? It's already covered, so sun protection would be good. Live in South Dakota where the skeeters are the size of small birds... :) So that is the only advantage I can think of, but arguably, quite a big one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hilltop_gw

We live just south of you in northeast Nebraska (but we get SD weather). We have an 18x14 uncovered cedar deck that we always thought we'd use once built; however we never use our deck - it's either too hot, cold, windy, rainy or buggy. We recently had screenbuilders give us a bid of $23,500 to turn it into a 3-seasons sunroom. That doesn't include final flooring or any electricity. We're getting a 2nd bid from a local guy to possibly make it into a 4-seasons room.

Look at your current lifestyle. Do you like to spend time outside on the deck or have picnics in the evening? If yes, it means you like the wide open feeling & might like the rail; however if you're not outdoorsy then go for the screening as it will buffer you from the elements.

Are you in the country or in town? The screen might give you
a little more privacy but also obscure your view a bit.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 9:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shelly_k

Thanks hilltop! Good points. We do like to entertain at night, outdoors, but we've always had west facing decks, making them virtually unusable in the afternoon/evening. I would love to hang out on a deck that is not so hot! That is why we chose to cover it.

I do hate the mosquitoes, though... a hard decision. I guess we'd have to get some quotes. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
Screening in deck - clear roof options
Hi all I'm thinking about screening in an existing...
claudialina10
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™