Redwork embroidery questions

rosajoe_gwJanuary 31, 2012

I bought 2 pillowcases prestamped for embroidery. They are horses so I'll give them to one of my kiddie relatives. If they last that long, the fabric is so thin lol!!!! I

got them really cheap and I wanted to practice.

I really like starting off with the loop instead of a knot. But the redwork site with all of the great tutorials advises to end by wrapping the threads around about 3 of the stitches.

I'm not going to chance it coming undone so I have been making small knots to finish. You can't see them from the front.

How do you finish yours so the stitches don't unravel????

Rosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

I use a knot to begin and to end I run the thread under several stitches on the back, then make a loop, poke the needle through and pull the loop tight over the thread, then cut it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 1:49PM
rosajoe_gw

Thank you Teresa I'll try that. I don't think the thread is thick enough for the knot to show through on a quilt block.

I don't think the wrapping around 3 stitches is secure enough!!!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 2:24PM
new2quilting

I knot at the beginning and make a loop/knot at the end as well. If it's a project where I can hide the end thread or knot I'll go back under with the thread, come out a half inch/inch away and pull the thread and cut it so it disappears underneath. When I did cross-stitch I wrapped the threads at beginning and end to tuck it under. But those weren't something that had to put up with washings and I feel a knot is more secure.

I bought some pre-stamped quilt blocks at a quilt show and they are also very thin. Turns out they are a cotton-poly blend. I'm making one of set of them and might just use them for totes, the others I'm not sure what I'll do with them. It was nice not to have to transfer, but I'd rather have used my own thicker Kona fabric.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 5:36PM
rosajoe_gw

I agree!!! These are so thin they will not last long. As pillowcases they will be washed in the machine. But I was looking for something easy to practice on.

The discount store I bought them in has them really cheap, but there is no way I would put that much time into a project that is not durable.
Rosa

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Wandering Quilters Shirt
Kate, where can we order one? I'd love to have one...
grammyp
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™