lighting for screened in ipe porch

mikebdeckJuly 5, 2010

14 x 30 ft screened in porch with tongue in groove ceiling and faux beams (maybe ipe to match the decking, but probably just pine). Ceiling will also have multiple skylights. I don't really want recessed lighting. Anyone have any ideas that will make the ipe and ceiling look good? Little spot lights along the beams? No idea. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjh5

We used 75W PAR 30 track lights, without canisters, with dimmer switches to control the amount of light. Some of the bulbs wash the T & G ceiling and the rest strategically light the room. If you find the bulb size too large for your taste you could also get the same effect with smaller low voltage halogen bulbs.

Marty

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 8:51AM
fabbyone

I have two sky lights, and a minka aire outdoor fan/light

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 10:04AM
dakota01

I will have 3 skylights, and 2 fans w/lights. But, I did have them put 3 can lights directly in front of the windows/door. Basically, I wanted additional brighter light for security purposes.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 5:25PM
mikebdeck

Thanks - just saw the responses as my computer crapped out a few weeks ago. Much appreciated. Has anyone used sconce lighting around the outside? Not sure Ipe deck posts allow for that sort of thing very easily. I guess track lighitng is much easier to install

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 12:25PM
iannilin

I am building a 32 x 21 screened porch with a fully shingled roof. I was considering adding two 30x40 skylights. I am now thinking that when the sun is strong in the summer, it will heat up the porch. I live in SC where I get full sun in the am until 3:30 pm. I do not want to sit in the screen room with the sun blasting in from the skylights. This could be pretty hot. On the other hand, will the screened room as well as my adjacent living room be too dark without the skylights? Confused...please help with suggestions on which way to go. Thanks

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Bad Caulk Job- Need Advise
We had some structural work done to our front patio....
Vanessa Abbey
Please recommend finish product for reclaimed redwood deck
We are installing a redwood deck in our new build and...
honu3421
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™