concrete or pavers?

patrice607July 27, 2011

I'm planning to replace an aggregate stone patio and old redwood deck. I am sick and tired of deck maintenance and afraid of the new composite materials due to warping, fading and other complaints I've read about here. Water is an issue because the neighbors behind me are 5 feet higher. If I go with concrete or pavers will I be adding to my water problems? Which is less maintenance?

I live in the Chicago area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Your choice of patio surface is personal. Since you know you have a potential issue with water, it will be important that you create good drainage to prevent settling (and cracking).

The advantage pavers provide is that a few can be removed and releveled if ever such becomes necessary. Concrete will eventually crack and there really isn't any way to make repairs once that happens.

Our paver patio is elevated, held in place by a retaining wall. To level the grade, up to 12" of compacted gravel was placed below the pavers and additionally French drainage to direct water to a low area adjacent. No problems in over 12 years and I too reside in the Chicago area. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 4:37PM
commanche

MOST CONCRETE WILL CRACK IN TIME.
pavers ,i feel are better but i used concrete as it was easier to do and its 9 years old and no cracks, so far.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 9:32PM
patrice607

fnmroberts -

Your patio looks great! I have ruled out concrete and am thinking of pavers or flagstone.

Thanks for your input.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™