My "recovery" top is finally finished

toolgrannyJanuary 23, 2014

I know I haven't produced much this past six months. After my surgery Aug 30th I wasn't allowed to sew for two months or so. Now I can FMQ on the table machine, piece just fine, but still can't use the frame quilter yet.

Anyway, within a couple of weeks I found I could applique if I held it low in my lap and pull the thread sideways, not up. I didn't tell the doctors. But, I was going nuts. So, I made this top, soon to be quilted for my mother.

My mother! She's never home, turns 94 on Feb 1st, and said she didn't want a quilt. Then she went to a local show with me and saw a design like this hanging and said "Oh, I love that!" So, I jumped in and said would she keep it if I made the same for her and she agreed. I have to finish it quickly because she tells everyone she's planning to die at 95. We all know she will be sitting in the front row at her own wake, but that's another story.

I hope to get this basted and ready to quilt soon. It's still hard for me to pin baste across a table but my DH or a friend will come over and help. I'll post a follow-up picture when it's done.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltingfox

It's truly lovely!!! Gorgeous applique!!! What a wonderful, beautiful quilt!!! Thank you for sharing a pic with us!

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:26AM
rosajoe_gw

Oh Linda, I love your mother without even meeting her lol! I hear so many stories about making quilts for people that don't want them, so they get hurt because they're not appreciated, at least she's honest lol!

The quilt is beautiful, your applique is perfect! Glad you are almost back to perfect.
Rosa

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:27AM
magothyrivergirl

OMG! BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see it completed. I would love to see close ups. I always admire your work.
I really like the subtle blue border. It really showcases the applique.

I'm sure you have seen this technique - instead of pin basting, you use very small bits of fusible - I would be afraid to use it everywhere, but it may help in some areas.
Your Mom sounds like she is living every minute to the fullest!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:30AM
msmeow

Linda, it is stunning! Just beautiful. If your mom doesn't like it, mine would! LOL

Donna

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:35AM
nannykins

Linda, that is just gorgeous!
You and your mother are remarkable.
Theresa

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 12:19PM
loisflan

Linda, your mother's quilt is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to believe you were impaired in any way when you made it. I love the two shades of blue in the border. You have created a masterpiece!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:40PM
grandmamary_ga

Beautiful quilt for your mom. Love the colors. Your mom is a hoot. She sounds like a lot of fun. Happy Birthday to your mom.
Mary

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:47PM
day2day

Just gorgeous!!
Even handicapped, you turn out beautiful work.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:13PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Ohhhhhh Linda, it's beautiful!!! What an accomplishment!! Will you show your doctor what you did during 'recovery' time?

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:10PM
tinyteena

Absolutely fantastic! Love it very much
Kristene

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:19PM
jennifer_in_va

Oh, Linda, that's GORGEOUS!! Love the layout and I'm sure it's immaculate applique as well!!

Can't wait to see it done with quilting!

Your mom is very lucky!

Sharon, you're a hoot! Can you imagine what her dr. would say!?

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:51PM
mlweaving_Marji

That's just beautiful. I hope your mom loves it!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:34PM
bev2009

i can't believe you did that impaired. it is beautiful and you mom sounds adorable!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:04PM
wanda_va

What a magnificent quilt! You did an amazing job on it, and I know your Mom will love it. She sounds a lot like my father, who is almost 92 and travels all over the world...except that he plans to stick around for his 100th birthday!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:17PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Yeah, Jen. I wanted to know what her doc would say, don't you? LOL He could advertise that his patients can do this during recovery time......course, he wouldn't tell them they had to know how before surgery. lololol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:44PM
nanajayne

You are amazing! I am so proud that you didn't sit and whine during your recover but were able to focus on the good things in life. What a beautiful work of art you created and it will surly encourage you mother that 95 is just to soon to go and not be able to enjoy your great quilt. Tell her to keep on renewing that contract for a few more years. I do every year on my BD....

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:08PM
littlehelen_gw

Amazing and applause to you...it's just lovely! Your creations as always are beautiful ... all my parts are still fully functional (so far) and I could never handle applique such as this!

Once you give that to dear old Mom...I bet she'll change her story to stick around beyond 95!

V.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:26PM
pirate_girl

Breathtakingly beautiful, really amazing. Yes, that 2 toned blue border stripe catches my eye too, really nice. Hard to believe you were injured while doing this.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:50PM
quiltnhen

The quilt is utterly gorgeous and your Mom sounds like a hoot!

I haven't made anything that gorgeous in appliqué even without any surgery discomforts!
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:39PM
K8Orlando

This is very very special. It's lovely and you've done the fabulous job we've all come to expect from your work, but the story about your mom makes it even better. To think you did this while recovering makes it EVEN BETTER THAN THAT.

Kate

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:05PM
beth7happy

that is awesome in every way!!! Fabulous piece!!!! Lucky Momma!!!!! (and I want to hear more about her seating arrangement for her own wake...!!!! ...sounds like my MIL who is almost 92) ....have we lost some spunk that our Old Gals still have????

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:09PM
karpet

That is so beautiful!
Karlene

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:41AM
quiltnhen

Can't stop looking at this one. I've decided it reminds me of crewel designs. It's so beautiful. Did you hand appliqué everything?
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:09PM
jaceysgranny

Wow, that is very special! I love it, beautifully done!!!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:43PM
fran1523

That is stunning. Anything I've ever seen you make has been gorgeous Linda, but that is really spectacular. I remember hearing stories about your mother.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™