Aluminum Decking

joanctJuly 29, 2007

I am in the Sierra Foothills of California. Very hot summers and cold, wet winters with snow. The 400 sf of deck that is not covered gets Southern exposure and is not holding up well. Right now it has cedar planks over 24" center joists. We are going to have to tear it all out, replace most of the joists (they have rotted too), and basically start over. It is about 10 feet off the ground. We are considering aluminum decking, because of the severity of the sun and weather. Can't find a source in California. Also, would like to know other experiences. Every time we think we have figured out what to use for the decking, we hear some horror story. Trex has failed alot in our area. We have also been told that IPE is too much work with the sun exposure we have. I have also been told to not even consider the plastics. Does anyone have any advise or experience with the aluminum?

Thanks,

Joan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckman22

I'd forget about that aluminum decking as I don't know of any company making it anymore. AWDS gave me a display deck made out of aluminum & I put it down at my fish camp on the Texas coast. Seems to hold up well in that enviroment, but does get slick when wet.

Don't believe the stories about ipe, it would work fine there. For a composite check out ameradeck @ www.ameradeck.com, they have some distributors in Ca.

Al

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 9:41AM
john_hyatt

I agree with Al,there are a lot of scare stories from Folks that bought into that stuff, a big thumbs down with the alum decking.Also agree ipe will work real well in your area. J

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 7:15PM
sweetcarve

What problems does aluminum decking have?

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™