Need to restore/brighten my IPE deck?

ralphfersJuly 4, 2009

Hello, I have a 5-year old IPE deck (horizontals) my railing system is clear cedar w/deckorator spindles. I am ignoring my railing for now. The situation I want to address right now is the deck itself (IPE). I have power washed it once a year and then brushed on Penofin for Hardwood. My contractor originally told me that's all I need to do - power wash lightly and then hit it with Penofin. It's now been two years since I last treated it and the deck is now very dark and is always in full sun (can burn your feet unless you water it down first). Well, what should I do now? Sand it? Bleach it? Hit it with chemicals and apply Penofin right away? Hit it and then leave it sit for a year and reapply next year? I just want to try to restore it the best I can to the original condition without making a too much of a major project out of it. It's in good shape, clean, well looked after, it's just TOO dark. Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Ps. I am not a contractor. The end result doesn't need to be "professionally" perfect, but what's the best route for a homeowner to take that is going to attempt this themself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salmon_slayer

most of the recommendation I have seen for Ipe are to use a mild stripper followed by a neutralizer (oxalic acid which also brightens the wood). I used products from http://sunbrite.stores.yahoo.net/ that worked excellent on my redwood siding. Everything I bought from the local paint stores and home depot did not work well and were too much work. this stuff is spray and and hose off.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
Sponsored Products
Original Gilded Lily of the Valley on Linen - GOLD
$895.00 | Horchow
Pink Ribbon with Black 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
'Grandmas' Engraved Frame
$11.99 | zulily
Amba Q 2042 Hardwired Towel Warmer - Q 2042 B
$904.00 | Hayneedle
Kadence 5-Light 23 1/4" Wide Brushed Nickel Chandelier
Lamps Plus