advice needed for repairing porch

yunaJuly 12, 2012

Hi everyone. The very top step of my porch was damaged some time ago. In attempt to fix it, I ended up removing a piece of trim that was affixed to the edge - it was pretty shattered. At first I thought I could just replace that piece of trim but the trim was attached with these round discs that protrude into middle of the trim and I am not sure if I can reproduce this attachment. And as you can see, the top step is kind of weathered at the edge but aside from that area, the rest of the porch floor is in pretty good shape and I would like to keep it if possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas how I can tackle this problem. Thank you so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

That is called a biscuit joint. Cut back to good wood and try the local lumber yard for stair nosing or landing tread. It will be for interior so you'll have to adapt, and it may only be available in oak.
Find the nosing material before making the cut. Pay attention to the thickness where it meets the existing. Ask the guys where you buy it for attachment advice.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I can't see this project possibly being worth the investment into a biscuit jointer, although it may be possible to rent one.

The porch material looks to be plywood. I'd cut it back to beyond the damage and replace it. Depending on how the joists run, you may need to cut it back to the next joist.

I wouldn't bother with biscuits for the trim piece. Use outdoor rated construction adhesive and some trim screws to attach it.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Concrete Repair or Replace?
Ok, I bought an older home this past November and the...
niecyt13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™