Now Showing: Building a Big Ol' Garapa Deck
We've launched our deck build, and will post photos and details of our play-by-play with two goals in mind: we hope that those with experience will chime in if they see us doing something wrong, and we hope to help other DIY-ers. I've benefitted a lot from reading previous posts and staring hard at photos to see fastening methods, edge shots, stain colors, etc.
We hope to get it mostly built by the end of next week, as we're both taking the week off and importing FIL to help, as well as some cheap teenage labor when needed. Estimated cost of all materials is around $13,000.
So here we go. We've spent parts of the last 4 days digging holes for the footers. Our deck is free-standing, with 3 different zones, so we've got a total of 28 stinking holes (8 due to the fact that we can't have a ledger with a brick facade).
Our holes are all 36" deep (local code requires 24") and are a mix of 12", 16" and 24" diameter. After getting 8 holes done the first day, we decided we needed help from some younger backs. So we rustled up some teenagers willing to work for $10 a hole. We used a tractor post hole auger to loosen up the dirt, then had to shovel/post hole it out to the proper depth and circumference.
We finished up Saturday late morning, just as it started to sprinkle. Since it's a holiday weekend, we couldn't get either inspection or concrete until Monday, so we rounded up all our tarp-like covers and covered up the holes. See the covered holes and our maze of batter boards below.
Alas, the rain kept going and mud started forming, so we went and bought a gigantic tarp to umbrella the whole thing. Hopefully it'll keep until Monday and the sonotubes won't have turned to mush. The rain has stopped, but it's still overcast, so we can't risk untarping it yet.