Best fasteners for 1x6 Garapa

run53July 22, 2009

In a previous post I mentioned I decided to go with 1x6 Garapa. I am working with East Teak to finalize my order.

What would the best fastener be? George at East Teak has Headcote #7 2.25" 350 per bx (100 sft) at 49.50 per bx. Does that make sense? I have read other posts that recommend #8. Something about #1 square bit will strip more easily. Any experience with these #7 screws?

I will not be plugging. Also, which color is best with Garapa? I am thinking Tan.

Thanks again for all the great advice here.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

I use noting but #7 square drive trim head ss screws to fasten S American lumber and havent for 15 years or so.

Garapa finishes up very well with twp cedartone natural I have also mixed twp CTN and dark oak to get a brown color. J.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:20PM
salmon_slayer

I used 8's for 1x6 Ipe and think the 7's would have worked just fine and saved some $$. Listen to John

Steve

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:31PM
brooklyndecks

I use #7 and #8 headcotes for my decks. The #2 square drive is easier to use...less chance of stripping. An impact driver is the best tool for screwing them in.

steve

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 7:44AM
run53

OK...sounds like a couple votes for #7 and one for #8 (due to the #2 drive bits).

I was planning to use my standard vsr electric drill equipped with the smartbits setup for pre-drill/countersink. Would the impact drill really make that much of a difference in reducing stripping? If so, it'll be a good excuse for me (to use with my wife) to add to my tool collection (I love tools).

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 9:10AM
salmon_slayer

an impact driver makes a big difference! Between the Dewalt and Makita 18 volts - go with the Makita Lion. I just bought the Makita to replace a stolen Dewalt. (Buy the driver/drill set). Everyone I know that has tried an impact driver has bought one shortly thereafter.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 9:42AM
aidan_m

Makita Lithium Ion 18V

is the one Salmon is referring to. Try Mcfeely's for good deals online.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Gossen Passport Decking - anyone?
We are in the planning stages of removing a 25 year...
constanceann
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™