Ipe deck Colorado New build questions
Just looking for some advise on a new Ipe deck we are considering. The local lumber yard does not stock Ipe so they will be ordering from Denver. Their source has premium grade 8-10' lengths. After speaking with Eastteak.com I wonder if this premium grade is 1st export clear. The manager said that the premium is clear and does not have any plainer checks.
Our contracting friend recommended a guy who is going to do our decks, 33x7 and 33x3'. I don't know how much experience he has in dealing with Ipe. So I am reading through all the posts to gain some knowledge to discuss with him.
1. Will it help if I buy a Board boss for my builder? He said that he did not need any special tools to lay down the deck.
2. My builder suggested we use 5/4 x 4" planks because they do not cup as much as the 6". What are everyones thoughts on that.
3. What is everyones opinion on the board lengths? There will be a lot of lines on the with these size planks.
4. My builder likes to round the ends, would you recommend this for an ipe deck?
5. It seems that the consensus is that we should not seal the ends with anchor seal but only apply the stain we choose. Whether it be TWP or Penofin.
6. Should I let the wood acclimate at the lumber yard, in my garage, or outside. Monsoon season has rolled in.
7. Wood is housed in Denver, we are in Telluride. Higher elevation, moister. How long should the wood acclimate?
8. Does everyone plug the screw holes? What is the main advantages/disadvantages of plugging.
9. TWP - Does everyone use the 100 series? It looks like they have a new product series 1500. Has anyone used this or the 500 for Ipe?