Painting Pressure Treated Porch Floor

DeniseTWJuly 24, 2013

We have a newly installed pressure treated pine porch floor. We want to paint it and I've research as much as possible, and found this on the "Southern Pine" website"

"Paint may be used successfully on roof-protected porch floors. For optimum results, first treat the wood with a paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. After the floor dries, a primer and two topcoats of porch and deck enamel should be applied. Porch enamel is especially formulated to resist abrasion and wear. Solid-color stains should never be used on flat surfaces such as decks and porches, because of their low resin content".

The problem is finding a water-based paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. I've found a few oil-based ones and was wondering if a water-based primer and paint would adhere to it, as water-based is what is recommended.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GypsyWaterfowl

In general, I believe you can put water-based paint over oil-based paint / primer, but you should NOT put oil-based paint over water-based paint / primer.

I would recommend going to a REAL paint store (e.g. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams) and ask them for advice. Don't use their "contractor" products. Use their top-of-the-line products. Initially, their top products may cost more, but they will save money in the long run, and they will look fabulous (when properly applied). To guarantee compatibility of paints, primers & sealers, use paint products from the same manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Painting How To's - Sherwin-Williams

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DeniseTW

Thank you Gypsy, you answered my question. I will go to a real paint store for this. I really appreciate you answering the question, rather than giving too many opinions. Don't get me wrong, I thrive on opinions, but I have researched this issue and just needed that information. Thanks again

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Sponsored Products
LNR Home Natural Fiber Blue Ikat Area Rug (7'9 x 9'9)
Overstock.com
Anderson Leather Loveseat - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
21-inch Brown Leather Striped Hide Pouf Ottoman
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Dijon Gold 9' 6" x 13' 9"
Home Depot
Northwoods 1-light Bronze Torchiere Lamp
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Grimsby Amber/Gold 2' x 3'
$65.00 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Crowne Oberon Spa 5' x 7' 6"