Do you like your composite deck?

terriksJuly 24, 2013

My husband and I are planning on having a new deck put on our house. The deck will be approximately 20' x 20' and will be on an upper level. We are in southern Oregon, and it can get quite hot in the summer. So far this year we have had nine 100+ degree days. It will be uncovered, but will be completely shaded in the late afternoon. I know that composites can get hot and also fade. I'm looking for some real life experiences.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peakcelln

Check out my post at the end of the Trex/Fiberon battle...Steel Frame w/ Natural stone(I chose Granite)...But it can be Travertine, marble, flagstone,etc...Fireproof too...

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 8:53PM
Builder-Bob

I only have experience installing, not owning a Composite deck.

Composites like you mentioned do absorb and hold more heat than a natural wood and Composites have had issues with mold / mildew varying from brand to brand. The mold / mildew usually isn't an unhealthy amount but is an eye sore. The fading is a given, when choosing the color you want try to envision it a tad lighter. As far as longevity goes most Composite Manufacturers can only estimate longevity.

As the response above mine proves most Contractors will try to convince you of other options. Me, I would recommend a Natural Hardwood like Ipe, Massaranduba, Garapa, etc. Hardwoods like the above mentioned have been proven to last 20-30 + years untreated. That and your friends won't tease you about your "Lego" Deck. I know most Retailers like www.efloor.com or www.eastteak.com offer free samples, it is a solid option.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 4:17PM
annzgw

If you search the forum I think you'll find several previous discussions re: composite decking.
I'm one that loves my composite deck but I can't tell you the brand since I unable to find the info at the moment. Really not sure if the company is still in business.
The deck is roughly 30 x 60' and is covered. Some small dark flecks have shown up near the edges that get over-spray from the sprinklers but other than that I've had no problems..........going on 11+ years now.

Check out brands offered by your local decking companies and my suggestion would be to check an end cut and look for solid composite construction vs one that has a wood/plastic composite center wrapped in another material.

My previous homes all had redwood decking, and even though it was gorgeous to look at, I do not miss the upkeep it required.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 7:24PM
minty88

I love my composite deck. It is Correct Deck CX. I have had 3 other houses with wooden decks. The composite is so much better. It is easier to maintain. If the deck gets dirty I wipe spots up with baby wipes or use a micro fiber mop. It always looks so fresh and clean.

It can get gouges if you drop something sharp on it. But they don't show up.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 11:12PM
alisonn

I love it. We installed one 13 years ago, when they were just starting out (Trex) and it is in great shape, though there has been fading. About six years ago, we added a front porch and used a composite product that looks like painted wood and it looks terrific. It gets some late afternoon sun and doesn't appear to have faded (it is a light grey color).

I know my husband is not big on home maintenance, so it's nice to have a product we don't have to worry about.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
Sponsored Products
Bronze Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
BEGA | LED Garden and Pathway Bollard - 7330
$467.00 | YLighting
Hinkley Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage Black 12-Watt Saucer Path
$99.00 | Home Depot
Fringe Ceiling Lamp Black
ModernistLighting.com
Ogee-G Taupe Ceramic Large Baker with Metal Base
Classic Hostess