How to improve drainage in concrete patio?

tomatotomataJuly 10, 2012

I have a concrete patio that doesn't slope sufficiently, so water pools after a rain. I don't want to demolish the whole thing, so how can I get the water to drain?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

You don't say how large the pad is. Other factors would include any clearance against the home foundation and your soil. Are you in a freeze zone?

Possibly it could be mud jacked to create drainage. Or, possibly a drain could be drilled into the slab and a tube inserted below to carry away the water. Last option which comes to mind would be applying a top coat on the existing pad with a grade.

These are not inexpensive and it might be overall better to replace the pad.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:18AM
tomatotomata

Thanks for the response, fnmroberts. The pad wraps around the house on two sides, and it about 20' deep, but it is actually a patchwork of pads, I suspect each installed at different times. It is against the side of the house, but not the front. We never get freezing temps here.

Now that I've typed this all out, I's beginning to suspect you are right; I fear I'll have to demo and start over. Yikes.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 12:15PM
fnmroberts

It does sound large and not shaped suited for mud jacking.

If rain gathers in just a couple spots and they are clear of furniture, consider getting a commercial grade floor squeege - look in a janitorial supplier or on-line perhaps. They have "wings" on the ends. I've seen them in car dealers to push winter slop toward the drain.

Another idea - talk with a landscaper about installing pavers atop the existing concrete. At least you would not have to remove the existing concrete.

Good luck.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™