Brick Paver Patio

dbj3July 14, 2010

Hello, I am in the process of laying a 12 x 28 Paver patio and it is giving me fits getting it level. I know it should not be perfectly level and should slope away from the house but it drops off quite a bit. Looking at the patio, the back of it is against the garage. On the RH side it is against the deck. The other 2 sides are open. I have already laid the pavers down but am not happy with it. I put 2" of crushed gravel and 2-3" of sand down as a base and when I am happy with the slope, then I have Locking sand to put down and also will rent a Vibrator to finish the project. My issue or question is, what is the next step. I want the patio to look good and do not want to tear it up again. I am willing to take it back up and redo it once, but of course don't want to again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

1) is the "crushed gravel" clean stone, or does it contain smaller particles as well (fines)? Clean stone is the wrong stone for the application.
2) A 6" gravel base is standard.
3) 2-3" of sand is way too much; you want a 1" bedding layer.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 11:41AM
fnmroberts

Absolutely agree with previous poster about the base. 2-3 inches of gravel, even if your frost line is shallow, seems insufficient. When building ours, I compacted gravel in 3" increments, placed weed block fabric atop the gravel, then screeded the bedding sand.

To create the grade, I used a transit and drove stakes at 4 foot intervals forming a crown and drainage slope away from the house and off the patio of 1/8" per foot. I then used conduit to screed against following the stakes and making a uniform sand thickness.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 12:07PM
dbj3

Thank you. It is crazy the different opinions and advice you get on the web. I actually read on one of the sites that you needed 4" total base. 2" of Crushed Gravel and 2 minimum of sand. The stone I used I guess is called birm. It packed real nice. I also used a thick weed fabric and then put the birm on top of it. I was told it would not go any where with that stuff under it. Anyhow, thank you for the advice and comments. I appreciate it.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
What to Expect from Your Premium Decking Contractor
You’ve decided to hire a decking contractor. Congratulations!...
Design Builders, Inc.
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Bird Talk Birdhouse - Set of 2
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Blue Swinging Chair
$225.00 | Horchow
Melbourne 3-pc. Outdoor Loveseat Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Red Cedar Woodland Landscape Screen
Fifthroom.com
UMA Enterprises Floral Round Iron Plant Stand - Set of 3 - 63345
$150.00 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. European Park Style Four White Globe Plu
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™