Deck around box bay - ledger board length

markwarren66July 24, 2013

I am looking to build a deck attached to my house and have a question regarding the ledger board. I have built a deck before but it was freestanding. There is a deck in place that is 9' wide, which is the span of my kitchen box bay. The bay is built into the foundation and the current ledger is attached to it.

I want to extend the width of the deck and have limitations on each side (basement stairwell on one side, vent on the other. While I know I can relocate the vent, I'd prefer not to.

I have 5' on the stairwell side, and just about 3' on the side before it hits the vent. My question, is, can I install a ledger board that is only 3' long? I want the total width to be 16'.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you need more info. Basically, it would be 3 ledger boards....one just short of 5', one 9', and one just short of 3'.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peakcelln

I wouldnt and I'm pretty sure your local town code wouldnt let it pass either. I'm not and engineer, but it seems the srength of the ledger is the multitude of bolts holding it across its total length. FYI, most codes don't allow ledgers to be attached to cantilevers, which is what your bay window is if I'm reading it correctly. I just built a raised deck with two cantilevers; one a bay window and the other a fireplace. We had to run the joist wild under the cantilever and attach it to the house underneath. This made the floor lower and may require an extra step to the door, but the building dept would not allow it any other way.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 9:03PM
weedyacres

I'm not an engineer either, but I disagree with Peak. I don't see why 3 sections of ledger board would be any weaker than a single one, as long as they're all sufficiently bolted into the rim joist. If you think about what's putting load on the ledger, it's the joists that are butted into it and the boards on top of them. A long ledger is supporting all the joists collectively, but a short ledger only has 3 (or 5 or whatever) joists bearing on it.

You are correct that the ledger needs to be attached to the main rim joist, not a cantilevered bay. But it sounds like the OP's bay may be built in such a way as to support the ledger.

Got pics?

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:12AM
millworkman

I agree with weedy and have seen ledger boards pieced in the past. As long as it is thru bolted to the rim joist should be no issues.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Sponsored Products
Simpatico Orange Diffuser
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Recife Seagrass Natural and Black Runner Rug (2'3 x 11'9)
Overstock.com
CS011 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Summerhouse Settee - MULTI COLORS
$7,500.00 | Horchow
Copeland Furniture | Sarah Sleigh Bed with Storage, Queen
YLiving.com
Gizaun Art Argentine Gaucho Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - AG2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Isabet 'H' Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Tolix Marais A56 Armchair