25 year old concrete pool deck resurface

bigfootlabradorJuly 23, 2013

We have a 25 year old concrete pool deck that is in good structural condition, but doesn't look good. It has a few hairline cracks, but mostly the problem is some color was added to the concrete when it was built and then it faded unevenly.

I am looking for suggestions, including: 1. Materials which can be applied very thin. 2. Whether to do this myself.

We are considering various options to make it look better. One annoying constraint: the deck was poured so it comes up level with the bottom track of the sliding door. The prior owners has a problem with water intrusion and we only have a moderately better situation after grinding and some work. Thus, anything thicker than about 1/4 inch will require either extensive grinding, or we have to take the door out, or do some invasive cutting and work to get additional drains near the door.

I have been looking at very thin coatings like Ardex CD Fine in white. http://products.construction.com/swts_content_files/823/575247.pdf ,

That coating would be 1/8" at most. I have no desire to stamp, color, or do anything but have an even nearly white surface. Since it's by the pool, I want good wet traction.

As with so many types of contractors, we have gotten rather different recommendations from various bidders. One recommended Westcoat instead, mostly due to it being workable for longer. We are in a temperate part of CA, no snow or ice to deal with.

I am considering just doing this kind of thing myself. I am careful, and good at following instructions. For an 1100 square foot deck, materials are about $500 (50 cents per square foot Ardex CD Fine), but bids for installation are more like $10,000 ($9 per square foot).

More Discussions
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Exposed wiring in patio cover
We are building a new backyard patio cover and the...
vweidman
Sponsored Products
Marco Pole Stripe Blackout Back-Tab Pole Pocket Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 96
$43.95 | Bellacor
Perspectives 733840 Chandelier
Lightology
Remer by Nameeks Z31US Diverter Trim - REMER Z31US
$286.00 | Hayneedle
Cream Tree Ring Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Marshall Table Lamp
Lightology