The Hyatt Method

DashomeJuly 23, 2014

John or others with experience,
I familiarized myself with your recommendations, but wanted a complete, concise list of steps since you seem to offer advice in other posts more specific to the issues the poster has.

I have already done:
1. Chemically stripped previous homeowners failed stain off.
2. Applied brightener/neutralizer
3. Sanded as appropriate
4. Applied 2 coats TWP 1500 (wet on wet)

To Do:
5. Oxalic Wash: Is oxalic wash needed before the a coat if it is only a few weeks since the original coat was applied or just before a maintenance coat years down the road?
6. Apply TWP 1500 wet on dry: I want to build coats as you recommend to minimize the need for maintenance. When should I reapply the next wet on dry coat? (some posts say the following spring, others a few weeks)? Just 1 coat, correct? Next one to be applied when needed or proactively on an annual basis?

Also, I noticed some spots seem to be lighter than others. Is this something to worry about or is it possibly due to sun exposure in this area already?

Thanks for clarifying. I can assure you that the community is grateful for your wisdom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

John Hyatt's no longer here (the mods booted him off because of his frank style, which rubbed some people the wrong way). I miss him. :-)

But I've used TWP on garapa. I'd do a minimum of 3 coats; My first time around I did 2 coats. It wore off some the first year (on more exposed parts) and more the 2nd year. The 2nd time around I did 3 coats and it lasted longer. We sold that house last year, so I can't give you the long-term scoop.

Oxalic acid is for when you're stripping down and starting from scratch, or in subsequent years. If you did a coat a few weeks ago, then just clean it well, let it dry, and do another coat or 2.

If I were doing it again, I'd do 3 coats wet-on-wet (or over the course of a couple weekends) and then a topper coat each year, before it wore away. If there are spots that will get more sun exposure, I'd put an extra coat on them up front. I think John had 7 coats on stuff in his backyard.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™