YIKES...Is this enough filler?

athomesewingMarch 19, 2014

I am going over detail drawings from my cabinet maker.

The cabinets are frameless. He has specified 1" filler between the walls and cabinets.

I am wondering if that is sufficient? I want the doors in those locations to open, at minimum 90 degrees. I have not selected knobs or pulls yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You're going to have to have door limiters on those doors to keep them from hitting the walls, even with a 3'' filler. A 1'' filler is enough to keep the door from rubbing the wall, with enough wiggle room for it to be scribed for any out of plumb conditions.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:41PM
illinigirl

1" filler between walls and cabinets is standard for my cabinet maker (frameless). They did say that depending on the hardware it may have to be adjusted so it didn't hit the wall. But that's how it was laid out in my drawings- as 1"

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:49PM
athomesewing

Thank you both! (:

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:58PM
strayerdarb

Sorry to hijack this post, but I have the same question. My cabinets are already built and I am using the kitchen. I have 1 cabinet door that hits the fridge wall and 1 cabinet door that hits the oven wall.

My cabinet maker is coming over tomorrow for another reason. What should I ask him to do on these 2 cabinets?

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 9:54PM
OOTM_Mom

I personally think 1" spacer is not enough. Unless you are really hurting for cabinet space and getting low profile knobs or pulls. There supposedly are hinges that will stop your door at 90, so that it wont hit neighboring walls, I am waiting for mine to arrive and be installed in several cabinets. I wish I had used smaller cabinets in several places and increased spacers, both for ease of cabinet clearance and asthetics. I have 2" at one wall, and 1-3/4" at the other end. One of my cabinet doors rubs the granite in one spot, even though the granite guys did an onsite adjustment to curve what would normally have been a more squared edge, a spacer there would have avoided that (not at a wall even)

Places I'd seriously consider adding spacers, either side of DW, against walls, either side of range depending on how your appliance door opens, and the neighboring cabinets, amd for me, near pantry cabinet and fridge cabinet. And wall ovens.

I'll bet 1" can work, but you might want more.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Anyone have TCE4005 quartz counters (or any other carrara-lookalike)?
Hi there, I'm still in the process of trying to pick...
Melissa Silva
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™