Trex to replace PT

jensorJuly 4, 2012

I have a 20x14 PT deck. I'm switching to Trex. I decided after buying the decking, I should also do the Trex Elevations so the decking doesn't get wavey due to the imperfect wooden joists. I have 4 posts since my current 2x10's span the 14 ft. The deck is only 6" off the ground if that so a drop beam is not possible. The header beam (opposite the ledger that the joists go into) is currently two 2x10's that the joists run into (no cantilever). On to my questions.

If I go to Elevations and start over...they are 8" joists. So I need an 8" ledger. Should I put the new elevations ledger ON the existing ledger or replace it all together?

Back to the header beam, same thing. I assume I should replace it with the Elevations beam? Should I replace it with 2 beams or would one suffice? If two beams, should I bolt them together like I did the wood? Since these won't warp maybe I don't need to do that or just bolt it in a few places so it doesn't slip?

I'm also picture framing the deck with surface mount posts as railing (I think). Surface mount posts need support underneath so I figured I'd add a steel block (horizontally though) flush with the joists for the post to grab onto. Anything wrong with that logic?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

What?

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:42AM
jensor

Yeah, I confused people. I guess I'm at a point where I just want opinions on whether I should keep my existing wood framing which is in good shape except for a few boards...or should I switch to Steel so I don't need to worry about any more warping over the years.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:23AM
millworkman

Why and how is the framing "warping"? If this is happening you may have a serious issue on your hands and I would stay the hell off the deck until you have someone look at it, because a properly installed deck framing should not be "warping". Pictures may help with opinions on here.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Screening in deck - clear roof options
Hi all I'm thinking about screening in an existing...
claudialina10
Sponsored Products
Trex Chairs Monterey Bay Charcoal Black Patio Counter Side Chair TXD101CB
Home Depot
Trex Outdoor Furniture Recycled Plastic Rockport Club 18 in. Side Table - TXT181
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano The Jurassic-Sized T-Rex Dinosaur Statue - NE80126
Hayneedle
Elenco T-Rex Skeleton - EDU-37329
$67.95 | Hayneedle
Trex Dining Furniture Surf City Textured Silver 5-Piece Patio Dining Set with
Home Depot
Trex Chairs Monterey Bay Vintage Lantern Patio Bar Armchair TXD202VL
Home Depot
Trex Tables Yacht Club Stepping Stone 44 in. Patio Dining Table TXNCT44SS
Home Depot
Trex Outdoor Furniture 55.5 in. Seat Cushion - XTXS0009-5406