Help design face of sink area

laughablemomentsMarch 11, 2013

Hi all,
I'm hoping to pull off an old house vibe in our kitchen. I love the look of the inset cabs that Crownpoint makes, and am planning to do inset for the top cabinets. Its the lowers that have me hesitating on inset.

I could use a little assistance with the details of our cleanup sink area. The curtain is obviously temporary. We decided to go for drawers under the sink, and I need to decide what type. The top area where the two "eyes" are will be one full overlay panel. Would it be utter weirdness to do inlay for the next two drawers down? And how about the panel for the left hand dishwasher? I want it to look cupboard-like rather than dishwasher like. What's a good way to achieve this? DH is going to want to know what to build so I need to have a good answer ready for him very soon. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Drawers scream "MODERN kitchen". You want a vintage vibe, then keep the curtain under the two false panels (Do some decorative "vent holes" in the false panels). It doesn't get more vintage than a curtain that hides whatever you want under there. You can always do some pullouts behind the curtain, but the sink plumbing will eat up most of that room, so even that would be minimal.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:04PM
laughablemoments

Thank you for responding, LWO. I agree that curtains under sinks are great looking. This is one instance when function needs to trump form in the kitchen, though. Fighting with a curtain multiple times a day to use the drawers would keep * me from being pretty. :-)

Any other ideas?

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:13PM
GreenDesigns

If you don't want to do the curtain, then just do two doors. It will give you the most vintage look. Drawers under a sink are not often chosen because of the logistical issues that need solving with the gain not being a whole lot. Designing a pullout that fits on the cabinet floor often is a more successful approach to harnessing any leftover space after the plumbing needs are taken care of.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:10PM
marcolo

You can still do a curtain.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:03AM
pirula

That is genius....

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:35AM
williamsem

Whoa, that's genius!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:36AM
laughablemoments

Love the drawer with the skirt. I think we're going for it. : )

Don't I remember somebody having a magnetic catch drawer inside of a drawer? I think this would be a good application for one, since we have 2 drawers that I'd like to cover with one curtain per Marcolo's picture (where did you find that?!)

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:11AM
marcolo

Hope you appreciate it. ;-) This pic is from my own private collection. I was going to do this in my own kitchen, then I couldn't for various reasons. So I thought somebody might as well get some use out of it.

I don't know where it comes from. I've been hoarding it for several years.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:41PM
laughablemoments

Thank you for graciously sharing it! : ) I *do appreciate it. It looks like a good solution.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:51PM
smiling

Laughable, I do hope you can make use of Marcolo's great idea/inspiration shot. It's such a good workable solution. Also made me realize that I am myself edging closer to TKO land, because I really enjoyed thinking of Marcolo with a "private collection" of saved (and even hoarded) ideas.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Sliding (glass) wall between kitchen and outside (porch)?
This is a kitchen remodel and new construction of a...
cotehele
Would you please review kitchen floorplan? 1880s house
Hello, I am new to posting, though I have read the...
islandgarden
Recommendation for range hood insert?
I need to order one for a custom hood cabinet. The...
Lisa Whalen
Sponsored Products
Hopson Armless Sofa - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Chelsea SC-EG Diva Shoe Chair - Excite Graphite - SC-EG
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Ledgewood Museum Bronze Large Outdoor Wall Mount
$289.00 | Bellacor
Furniture of America Addison Cappuccino Bookcase Display Stand
Overstock.com
Wood Table Lamp: Brookfield 31 in. Driftwood Table Lamp 32115DW
Home Depot